Frontline programme on mortgage arrears and negative equity

Status
Not open for further replies.
That website was originally supported by people ... whose only mantra for the last five or so years is property was/is overvalued.

Sounds a bit like the politician who said that reports of a homelessness crisis were just rumours being put around by people who had nowhere to live :)

It was shockingly unbalanced.

Why were there no present bankers on the Frontline programme? I would have thought that they would have been interested parties?

Why was PK asking questions of a former banker who had no idea of the answers? :rolleyes:

Marion

Why were there no present bankers on the Frontline programme? I would have thought that they would have been interested parties?

Why was PK asking questions of a former banker who had no idea of the answers? :rolleyes:

Marion

I think that there were two former bankers on the programme - a man towards the start and a woman towards the end. The man made no sense at all - or maybe it's just that I did not understand him.

The woman said that the staff were just following orders in the amount of the loans that they gave out.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan

I was watching it at the time on player and switched off before the end of the show as I didn't expect to see any banker turn up late on the panel. So, I didn't get to hear the second former banker in the audience.

What was the point of having former bankers on the show?

Just a thought:

Is it in the public interest to know if PK is somebody in negative equity?

Marion

Is it in the public interest to know if PK is somebody in negative equity?

NO, no more than having every poster on AMM declare his/her position, its his private business and now we are moving into witch hunt territory.

Hi Monagt

I'm not convinced. RTE is a public broadcaster funded by the taxpayer. AAM is an anonymous bulletin board.

Marion

Hi Marion

It's very unlikely that Pat Kenny is in negative equity. He has had his home for some time. His earnings are a matter of public record and would presumably have been sufficient to clear any mortgage he had on his home.

I also think that he feels genuinely on the issue and is not pursuing a personal agenda. If he had such a personal agenda, he is too professional a broadcaster to allow it to interfere with his job.

He does seem very dogged on the issue and I don't know why.

Brendan

Hey Man

I have analysed it in this post which you might have missed.

I thought that the New Beginnings approach still had the owner paying the mortgage off over the full term just without interest on a ten year period (in Kens case).
The New Beginnings approach looks toward the possibility of freeing up disposable income which would benefit the economy.

Hi Brendan

I have no idea if PK holds any investment properties that might be in negative equity.

But considering the nature of his position and the programme that he presented I think that it would be in the public interest to know if negative equity were an issue for him.

Marion

The woman said that the staff were just following orders in the amount of the loans that they gave out.

The Nuremberg Defense may work for the grunts but not the officers of the Banks and certainly not the Directors or Chairperson.

Purple asked

Does anyone know what the procedure is to complain to RTE about this?

These are the relevant extracts from the Complaints page of the RTE website

Making a Complaint to RTÉ

A complaint . shall be made to the broadcaster not more than 30 days after . the date of the broadcast Section 47 (2) (a)

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views, except that should it prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other

Making a Complaint

If members of the public are of the opinion that a programme or a segment of a programme or an advertisement broadcast on RTÉ has:
. breached a provision of section 39 (1) (a), (b), (d) or (e) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 or
. failed to comply with a provision of the BAI Codes.
they are entitled to express their views. A complaint may be made by email to [email protected] or by writing to Information Office, RTÉ, Donnybrook, Dublin 4.
A complaints form is available here
RTÉ is committed to responding to all reasonable complaints concerning programme content or advertising which are not considered to be of a frivolous or vexatious nature . It is RTÉ's policy that all complaints should receive meaningful replies which attempt to address issues raised in complaints.
RTÉ is committed to the following:
All complaints received in writing or by-email shall be replied to by an appropriate member of the production team within 20 working days.
Internal Review of Complaints

If members of the public who complain are not satisfied with the response they have received there is a review process available to them within RTÉ. The review will always be carried out by an Editorial Manager senior to the member of staff who replied to the complaint in the first instance. The request for an internal review should be sent to
Head of Broadcast Compliance,
RTÉ,
Donnybrook,
Dublin, 4.
or by e-mail to [email protected]

Complaints to the Compliance Committee of the BAI

Members of the public may complain to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) if they are not satisfied with the response RTÉ has made to their complaint. The BAI will consider the complaint and may carry out an independent review of the complaint and the response the complainant has received. Information on how to refer a complaint to the BAI is available on the BAI website at www.bai.ie or from the following address.
Broadcasting Authority of Ireland,
2-5 Warrington Place,
Dublin 2.
Telephone: (01) 644 1200

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views...
It seems to me to be a very clear breach of this.

I think that the presenter of a programme such as The Front Line has to make it interesting and controversial.

What I find odd is that in the last programme, the balance was there. In this one it was not.

The timing was unfortunate in that it was on the eve of the publication of the Keane Report on mortgage arrears. Obviously the timing was chosen to follow Richard Curran's programme.

In summary, but not defense of the Frontline programme. The thrust of the conversation was that something needs to be done to reduce the burden of debt/negative equity problem/crisis.

So, there are some things that could be done that are partially right, some that are wrong or not generally accepted as being the right thing to do. Maybe there is no completely win win win solution - it is a crisis and that means making the best out of a bad situation. That does not guarantee a bed of roses for those offered assistance.

The political/official dithering on this is making Vicky Pollard look decisive. Yea, but no, but like, no not really, yea, but....no....but

Am I correct in saying that the people feel the presenter was making his views on the subject known and was far from impartial?

Also, do people feel this is an issue because RTE is a public service broadcaster paid for by the taxpayer?

Or is it that in general people feel that the debate was too one sided regardless of whom was airing the programme.

I'm trying to make a comparison with say Vincent Brownes programme on TV3. Which in my opinion is very one sided.

The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal. They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that are easy to cover.
Al Franken

You folks are getting more hot and bothered by the post. So you don't agree with the program and believe it was unbiased because it did not give enough weight to your (biased?) point of view.
Get over it and move on, there will be other programs and other outcomes.

The only other option is to light your torches and march on RTE, burn it and then on to Dalkey to roast Pat (unless of course, he lets us see his property portfolio and bank accounts)

Am I correct in saying that the people feel the presenter was making his views on the subject known and was far from impartial?

Also, do people feel this is an issue because RTE is a public service broadcaster paid for by the taxpayer?

Or is it that in general people feel that the debate was too one sided regardless of whom was airing the programme.

I'm trying to make a comparison with say Vincent Brownes programme on TV3. Which in my opinion is very one sided.

However bad this particular show was Pat Kenny has never sunk to the levels of bias and bullying that Vincent Browne sinks to every night. Tonight with Vincent Browne is a vehicle for VB to vent his spleen. It's a sham, a mockery of proper current affairs programming.

As for sympathy, I believe someone on this thread has already called the Clonee couple "speculators who got caught out". That, to me, is neither empathetic or sympathetic. It is just plain unkind, because it is knowingly and patently untrue.

I've now watched the podcast.

In what way is it not true that the Clonee couple were not speculators who got caught out. I consider the statement that they were speculators to be correct but that does not mean one is being unkind. It's just a statement of fact.

You folks are getting more hot and bothered by the post. So you don't agree with the program and believe it was unbiased because it did not give enough weight to your (biased?) point of view.
Get over it and move on, there will be other programs and other outcomes.

The only other option is to light your torches and march on RTE, burn it and then on to Dalkey to roast Pat (unless of course, he lets us see his property portfolio and bank accounts)
Didn't see the programme so I can't comment on it but the discussion above seems for the most part to be reasonable enough. You seem to be implying that because a topic exercises some people it should be avoided which is hardly the point of a discussion forum...

In summary, but not defense of the Frontline programme. The thrust of the conversation was that something needs to be done to reduce the burden of debt/negative equity problem/crisis.

So, there are some things that could be done that are partially right, some that are wrong or not generally accepted as being the right thing to do. Maybe there is no completely win win win solution - it is a crisis and that means making the best out of a bad situation. That does not guarantee a bed of roses for those offered assistance.

The political/official dithering on this is making Vicky Pollard look decisive. Yea, but no, but like, no not really, yea, but....no....but

Maybe that is the key point. There is a crisis and there is political dithering in dealing with it. The show was not balanced as no bankers or other people who deal with the coal face of actual debt gave their side, it was not balanced in that none of the 'cases' gave the full facts, in fact it was hard to see any case that was a desperate case.

Maybe RTE/Pat Kenny are getting calls from people every day in a distressed case and Kenny is reflecting that to try and get politicians to act. The percentage vote in the polls for Mitchell and the reception the Kenny has been getting must be coming from somewhere, a deep sented belief that politicians made promises, have made cuts to ordinary people, but not themselves or their cronies, no real change in politics or business at the top. Bankers still in place. A very real anger in Irish society.

For goodness sake why hasn't the government brought in bankruptcy legislation, just copy the British model or any model to sort out the mess quickly. We don't need more reports and dithering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back