Front door won't open fully

lisa_eire

Front door opens inwards but since the tiles in the hall have gone down it will only open about halfways till it hits the tiles. Unsure what to do as the manuafactures of the door say it should not be cut (and remain waterproof). Any ideas?

what type is the doo? solid door with timber frame or pvc?

If full pvc (door/frame) ... perhaps the whole thing could be raised .... bit of work I know.

Can see any resolution ... other than taking up the tiles again.

its a solid timber door with timber frame

Surely if the door is solid timber you should be able to get it taken off its hinges and the bottom of the door planed?

If there is a screwed on seal at the bottom of the door it can be removed and reattached when the door has been planed. If removing it damages it I'm sure a DIY store has a replacement.

Another option ... check with the company you bought the door from ... ask them about getting the door planed.

If the door is solid wood I can't see why planing it wouldn't work.

I did check with the crowd i got it from (manuafacturer)but they said they wouldn't plane it or recommend that i plane it as then it wouldn't be waterproof. they said the only thing they could suggest would be riseing butt hinges which would lift the door but i don't know if they would lift it enough.

Clarify how this has happened....Is this a new house & if so is it an issue for a builder....is it a DIY job etc

Hey Lisa! Im in exactly the same situation as you! Ive moved into the house and dont know what to do with the front door! I reckon im gonna have to remove all the plaster outside and cut the ties holding the door in place so i can raise it! Its gonna be an awful job and i know i have to do it but i think ill wait till the summer before kangoing the plaster outside! Such a pain in the ass!

I did check with the crowd i got it from (manuafacturer)but they said they wouldn't plane it or recommend that i plane it as then it wouldn't be waterproof. they said the only thing they could suggest would be riseing butt hinges which would lift the door but i don't know if they would lift it enough.

Surely a protective sealant could be applied to the planed area? You would be only taking off a few mm at most ... if the door is opening part way it can't need much to resolve it.

Rising butt hinges are the answer. They also help to close the door.

Thanks for all the replies.
its a new apartment as in new for me. they've been built for over two years so the builder hasn't been very helpful. they're response was that the doors warrenty is up.

Is your door multipoint locking or is it traditionally hung on butt hinges?

Back