From student account to what?

Xraylady

My daughter has had a student account with PTSB for past 5 yrs. She's in the last year of a six year course but after 5 years on student account was automatically changed over to an Explore account. When I enquired, I was told that if she provided letter from college saying she was in full time education they could open up a student account again (no bank fees) - but would have new a/c number etc which is a bit inconvenient for reg payments that have been set up etc. The thing is, I was told that an Explore account was a good account. although it has a €4/month fixed charge, money can be refunded on each debit card transaction. I just don't know if she should bother with pursuing the student account for the next year if it wont make much difference or if, in fact, Explore is the best that PTSB has to offer young people?.

The Explore account will give cashback of 10 cent per debit card transaction up to a maximum of €5 per month. So if your daughter makes frequent usage of debit card payments, then she will cover all/most of the fees.

The alternatives are back to a student account or a totally free account with EBS or N26.

Back