Fridge freezer getting too warm

Carnmore

I bought a secondhand LG GR232SBF fridge freezer recently with a 6 month warranty - the temperature sometimes rises to 7-10 C in the fridge and -15C in the freezer before the cooling system starts up.

Is this normal and if not how can it be fixed? Or should I just get it replaced by the retailer (if they're still around)?

Are the coils/fins to the rear clean and free from dust? Is there sufficient space around the rear for air to circulate?

If you can under the warranty provided, might be an idea to replace it.

Also worth checking that the lamp is going off in the fridge when the door is closed, assuming it is not an LED it will produce plenty of heat to warm the fridge up, had it recently with a Samsung. If you're anyway familiar with a multi-meter, fridge/freezers are actually quite basic and easy to troubleshoot, but honestly if it's under warranty it would be crazy to risk voiding the warranty by messing with it yourself.

I used to have this problem until I realised that setting the fridge to a lower number meant a warmer temperature. Turning it up to a higher number solved the problem. :oops:

The only part which can be accessed is the drip tray area at the bottom and it is clear. There is a gap of 100mm at the back and about 250mm either side.

Both thermostats are set at "N"

I'm wondering is this normal - the air temperature was 0c (-18c is normal) in the freezer and 10c (3-5c is normal) for around 20-30 minutes that I know of then it was back to normal this morning. Is this a fault or just a function to prevent build up of frost?

The heating element that does the defrosting is pretty small and is separated from the main fridge/freezer compartment so it doesn't warm it up, it's there to melt ice off the cooling tubes only. While I've never measured it, the freezer going from -18 up to 0 degrees does not sound right at all and is getting into dangerous territory for storing meats safely I'd think.

The fact that the temperature goes back down by itself, I assume it is not the lamp stuck on in the fridge/freezer. After that I'd be looking at the timer that controls when and for how long the defrost element stays on, mechanical timers like these do fail over time. You could also look at the temperature sensors. If you fancy a project, here's the timer (https://www.buyspares.co.uk/fridge-...959762&shop=lg&path=111336&model_ref=11815739) and temperature sensor (https://www.buyspares.co.uk/fridge-...131035&shop=lg&path=111336&model_ref=11815739), they're generally not that difficult to replace if you have some tools and follow a YouTube video.

Back