French Campsite Holiday..How Much?

maddad

Hi,

I'm (2 adults, 3 children) looking to go to France by ferry for 3 weeks in July/August and rent a mobile on a campsite. Any ideas how much this should roughly cost. Done lots of research on net and contacted the usual keycamps etc and i'm getting hugely differing prices.

Has anyone done such a holiday before and what should i expect to be paying?

Thanks,
MadDad

For a ferry inclusive package expect to pay anything between 3,500 and 4,500.

If you have been given a quote of less than 3,500 for 3 weeks then that would be considered value.

I could talk all day on htis - veteren of several years of finding value.

tips:

Stay clear of large companies such as Keycamp/Eurocamp

Seek out smaller operators.

Fight for a good price.

What facilities would be available at the type of campsite in question here? If I want somewhere with eg. pool, kids club etc., do you have any links to possibly suitable companies?

Maddad,
We've (2+3) gone selfcatering to France for the past 2 Years - First 2 Weeks of July - Ferry + Campsite circa €3.3K - that is booking direct. Save up to €500 on the Travel agent's price.

Hi,

Thanks for interest so far. The best i have is €4.3k. This is for ferry departing mid july and accomadation (Chalet/mobile home) for 3 weeks on 4 star campsite(pools etc). This price is booking direct. Is it O.T.T.??

Thanks again

MadDad

Last edited:
Go further south than Brittany as the weather there can do a good impression of Ireland on a bad day!

A camp site I can recommend is La Garrangeoire which is in the Vendee and easily driveable from Roscoff. You can book mobile directly with them - they have a website if you google it

(By the way Hello Jem - I remember you from The Moneybag)

Go further south than Brittany as the weather there can do a good impression of Ireland on a bad day!

A camp site I can recommend is La Garrangeoire which is in the Vendee and easily driveable from Roscoff. You can book mobile directly with them - they have a website if you google it

(By the way Hello Jem - I remember you from The Moneybag)
I would agree with the vendee and there is a link to one site that I stayed on there which I would highly recommend.
Fred you have some memory , I gave up on the moneybag site a long while ago.

Maddad - the link to La Garrangeoire is
[broken link removed]

Jem - had a look at The Moneybag today - hadn't looked in some time. Seems pretty dead.

You should also be aware that most sites cost a great deal more from 14th July to 15th Aug (or end August), so if you can get away early July it will make a big difference in price.

Maddad,

Enquire for a ferry price through www.bvdirect.co.uk - ferry desk.

You might save a few euro on the ferry price.

Then seek your accomodation price direct from site - not saying that's the cheapest.

What part of France are you definitely heading too - if Brittany around Quimper area I know a very reasonable small mobile operator.

By the way I'm paying Euro 2,850 departing 5/7/08 for 19 nights in the Vendee with Brittany Ferries. This was a hard fought battle with a small operator.

I would PM you but I d'ont see that facility available here anymore.

We used to do this in late may and would spend about 2k. Then kids started school and the cost shot up to 3-4k peak season... no way.

So instead we bought a camper van. yes there is some up front money, but we are sharing it so it's 50%... plsu we can go anywhere in Ireland at weekends.... we can travel around France if the weather is bad where we pick... and the 3 week holidays cost is back down to about 2k (cheaper if you don't go to sites wiht pools etc).... and the vans never really depreciate beyond a certain point so we will get a "lump sum" back when the kids are teenagers and don't want to come with us.

Just a thought....

No Frontiers (RTE1) had a piece last night on camping in France. Here's the link:

http://www.rte.ie/travel/nofrontiers/20080108_France.html
We stayed at this campsite 2 years ago and it is fantastic. All the program had to say about it was true, however we booked direct with the site and saved on that. Also booked ferry direct.

Once you cross into July, the rentals in these places are almost double than in June per night. We are staying in a 4* site in Cote D-Azur this year and its the top spec, 6 berth with decking for less than €800 for 2 weeks in June. Same rental for July would be about €2300.

Ferries also go up in Jul/Aug. I would say book direct with any site you go to and shop around for car hire.

I'm paying Euro 1,150 arriving 6/7/08 for 19 nights stay in a 3 b/r mobile home on a 4 star site in the Vendee. This was a hard fought price with a small bonded operator.

I did stay in Brittany - L'Orangerie de Lanniron (Castel site) and Le Vieux Chene (near Dol de Bretagne) in 2004 and 2005. At the time went late June/early July and my accomodation in a huge new 3 bed at the time was only € 900 for 19 nights.

This at the time was booked through www.bonnevieholidays.co.uk.

I believe they still have pitches on these sites and anyone thinking of staying northerly should consider this agent. One caveat the company was not bonded but I was fine.
The sites were both 4 star but you take big chances on the weather.

There are bargains to be got on accomodation but it is getting increasingly difficult to find the small operator who will give you a good deal. Maybe try the English companies and get a sterling quotation with the weakness to the euro as it is now.

Back