French artists selling door to door in Dublin

Well they are back in Ballina again. Called again to my house last week. It was dark when they called. A young woman about 25 or so and very pushy. Told her I was not interested and she kept on and on and in the end I had to close the door in her face which I dont like to do but this one wasn't taking no for an answer.

These people are becoming a bit of a nuisance now at this stage.

my bin holder(wooden secured box) is out the from of my house at the edge of the footpath. I had the front door open and they spoke to ,e as they walked stopped in between me and the front door and just walked in.

I was taken back by their cheek but i knew my partner was minutes away, so i just talked, thn when i told them he was due back they left...

normal i dont even let these people get two words out!

With regard to the scenic painting of Paris sites, there are tons of stands set up around Paris selling real paintings that are reproductions of other famous paintings, if that makes sense (they are painted by someone but they are copies of the originals). They sell them from about 20 euro up to 35 euro for large ones. They are lovely but certainly not worth 150 euro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=505391#post505391
I rang the Gardai who told me that there wasn't anything they could do.

Surely trespass is a crime?! :confused:

I suggested this to the Garda on duty who siad he didn't think it was. I suggested that he check with his sergeant. he said the sergeant was "on a break" and couldn't be disturbed. I said I'd wait. eventually the sergeant came out to me & asked what i wanted him to do about this!! I suggested that as these people are around the area perhaps he could get his guards on the beat to keep an eye out. He said that there are no guards on the beat in my area. After much shrugging of shoulders & sighing on his side I got fed up & left.

my bin holder(wooden secured box) is out the from of my house at the edge of the footpath. I had the front door open and they spoke to ,e as they walked stopped in between me and the front door and just walked in.

I was taken back by their cheek but i knew my partner was minutes away, so i just talked, thn when i told them he was due back they left...

normal i dont even let these people get two words out!

i think if someone walked uninvited into my home while I was outside Id stay outside and phone 999 from a mobile or neighbour - Id certainly kick up a huge fuss about it.

Quote:I suggested this to the Garda on duty who siad he didn't think it was. I suggested that he check with his sergeant. he said the sergeant was "on a break" and couldn't be disturbed. I said I'd wait. eventually the sergeant came out to me & asked what i wanted him to do about this!! I suggested that as these people are around the area perhaps he could get his guards on the beat to keep an eye out. He said that there are no guards on the beat in my area. After much shrugging of shoulders & sighing on his side I got fed up & left.

If this is exactly what happened then it is appalling behaviour on the part of the garda, and his sergeant. What's worse is that if this happens I'm not sure what you, or anyone, can do about it? Possibly go higher up the chain to the Divisional Officer (not sure of exact title / rank) or possibly try your local representatives.

Funnily the gardai in my area have exactly the opposite attitude. They actively encourage people to report suspicious activity, and door to door callers in particular! We have a dedicated community liaison garda (I think that's his title) who interacts with all local residents committees on a regular basis to keep the lines of communication open and to encourage a positive impression of the gardai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=505391#post505391
I rang the Gardai who told me that there wasn't anything they could do.

Surely trespass is a crime?! :confused:

I suggested this to the Garda on duty who siad he didn't think it was. I suggested that he check with his sergeant. he said the sergeant was "on a break" and couldn't be disturbed. I said I'd wait. eventually the sergeant came out to me & asked what i wanted him to do about this!! I suggested that as these people are around the area perhaps he could get his guards on the beat to keep an eye out. He said that there are no guards on the beat in my area. After much shrugging of shoulders & sighing on his side I got fed up & left.
Sounds like extremely poor service from your local Gardaí! Have to say that any time I have had cause to contact our local station (Bridewell, Dublin) they have always been very helpful and have always dispatched a patrol no matter how seemingly small the issue seemed to be.

If this is exactly what happened then it is appalling behaviour on the part of the garda, and his sergeant. What's worse is that if this happens I'm not sure what you, or anyone, can do about it? Possibly go higher up the chain to the Divisional Officer (not sure of exact title / rank) or possibly try your local representatives.
http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/ perhaps?

Yeah I thought about that but my impression (which was uniformed and based on what I had read or inferred through the media) was that the Ombudsman was only for more serious issues and wasn't really fully staffed up yet.

On reading the Ombudsman website I wonder would the incident above be classed as "misbehaviour" on the part of the Gardai (Details on making complaints [broken link removed]) or was it more a "quality of service" issue?

Yeah I thought about that but my impression (which was uniformed and based on what I had read or inferred through the media) was that the Ombudsman was only for more serious issues and wasn't really fully staffed up yet.
Poor customer service such as that outlined above is a serious issue in my personal opinion.

My local station (Rathfarnham, Dublin) is, if anything, worse than the one discussed above. When I called them because there were burglars in my house, while we were upstairs, they didn’t bother coming so I wouldn’t hold out much chance of them arriving to sort out a few door-steppers.

As someone said earlier trespass is a civil matter, trespassers will be prosecuted notices are nonsense!

Open door, "no thanks", close door.

Thanks for suggesting this - it would never have occured to me!! As I said the "artists" pushed passed me & were in the hall before I realised what was happening!

Thanks for suggesting this - it would never have occured to me!! As I said the "artists" pushed passed me & were in the hall before I realised what was happening!

The missus always peers out the window at callers!

We have a dedicated community liaison garda (I think that's his title) who interacts with all local residents committees on a regular basis to keep the lines of communication open and to encourage a positive impression of the gardai.[/COLOR]
I was trying to track down our local community Garda recently. It took two messages and about 10 days to get a response. 9 out of 10 times that I rang either of the local stations during the day, the phone just rang out - no answer.

The art lads are back again. They were going round ashbourne on saturday. Again, pics starting from 120e. I got a knock on sat from a foreign student working for a crowd called , which as yer man said was "dedicated to bringing gallery quality pictures to the public at discount prices"
I remembered reading this thread before but was interested in the work as the pictures really were of a very good quality(oil on canvas). When I expressed an interest in buying one the guy tried to sell me a larger one (around the 300 mark) which no matter what I said he kept pushing even ringing "his supervisor" to see if he could get a discount "because my wife and I were such lovely people".
Eventually he started to get aggressive at which I told him to get out and take all his pics with him, 15 mins later his "supervisor" came round with to see what happened. He showed some identification which said he was from the university of london, but it looked like a student id laminate I had 20 years ago to get into the pub. Got rid of him sharpish too and called the gards, didnt hear any more from them though.

edit: After a bit of googling, check out the youtube vid at the bottom of the [broken link removed] here to see how the china guys are producing the stuff, then see the [broken link removed] prices the guys are charging.

Santry on Saturday, I opened the door and he started his story, I said Oh to tell him to stop and he put down his paintings put his hands on his hips and said Oh WHAT! I started giggling then and said I wasn't interested he went off in a huff!

I had an 'Israeli' artist who was 'travelling Europe' come to the door a while back flogging his paintings. He told me it wasn't the selling of them that mattered, it was showing off his work to an appreciative audience.

I told him I wasn't going to buy any but he was welcome to show them to me if he wanted (I was keeping an open mind about his intentions). He spent about 20 minutes going through each of his paintings with me exclaiming over each one and asking him what they were of and where they were from. When he had finally shown them all he gave me his spiel, and I reminded him that I said I would only look at them and I wasn't buying. He left in a bit of a huff!

They were €160! I never have more than €50 in my wallet and usually only about a tenner. In these days of plastic fantastic, who does?

Back