freeze on sales of Turkish property to Foreigners.

PADDYBOY99

Hello
I am hearing on the grape vine that there is a freeze of all sales of property to foreigners as the government failed to update certain leglisation in time? Has anyone got any more information on this?

Hello
I am hearing on the grape vine that there is a freeze of all sales of property to foreigners as the government failed to update certain leglisation in time? Has anyone got any more information on this?

yes, true. as you mentioned the government failed to make changes in legislation asked by the constitutional court. i think they will be bringing it to the parliament in the next few weeks to sort it out

Bill on foreign property sale ‘to pass soon’

After a decision by the Constitutional Court went into effect on Wednesday, effectively freezing all property sales to foreigners, the government swiftly completed a new bill regulating such sales, which sources close to the government said yesterday will soon be passed in Parliament.

All sales to foreigners across the country were frozen under the directive issued by the Land Registry General Directorate of the Public Works Ministry since the Constitutional Court ruling went into effect on Wednesday. The Constitutional Court canceled a single article of the law that gave authority to the Cabinet to remove limits on property sales to foreigners -- set at 2.5 hectares -- as long as the total area sold to foreigners does not exceed 30 hectares and is not more than 0.5 percent of the area of a province.
Under the directive, sales to foreign nationals and foreign companies will remain frozen unless a second directive stating otherwise is issued. The directive sent shockwaves through the investment world in Turkey, but the government said the Cabinet had already drafted and opened for signature a new bill on property sales that would swiftly end the chaos.

The new bill proposes taking the area of districts, instead of provinces, as a reference for determining the limit of land sales to foreigners. Later, the Cabinet will still have the right to review and allow purchase of more land in special cases, as long as the total area sold to a foreigner does not exceed this upper limit.

The draft was finished yesterday by the Land Registry General Directorate. Areas that will not be available for sale to foreigners based on their strategic location will be decided by the Cabinet based on proposals and opinions submitted by the relevant agencies. The Cabinet will assess the strategic importance of a location based on infrastructure, economy, energy resources, environmental conditions, cultural properties, security and agriculture.

State Minister for the Treasury Mehmet ?im?ek, currently on a visit to New York, had said on Wednesday evening that the government was working on passing a new draft to replace the law annulled by the Constitutional Court. “A new draft in harmony with the ruling of the court is under way, and we hope to pass it in Parliament in the near future,” he said, speaking to the Anatolia news agency.

Those in the real estate sector had warned that the suspension of property sales was a major threat to foreign investment Turkey, calling on the government to fix the problem as quickly as possible. 18.04.2008 Today’s Zaman

I am hearing the the turn around time will be pretty soon as there is a lot of noise being made locally by the Auctioneers and Tourism sector but as yet it has not been rectified.

Are they doing this to stop inflows?

Im due to go out in august to pick few things up wondering will it be sorted by then?

No,
I think it was just an error on the part of the government in not updating leglisation in time. Thus the old Leglisation expired. I,m being told that it will be sorted in a matter of weeks.

As an update, last week the Parliamentary's Justice Committee approved the government bill regarding the sale of Turkish property to foreigners on Thursday. According to approved bill, foreigners and foreign companies will be able to purchase real estate up to 10 percent of areas in the zoning plan.

The next step that is a formality is that the approval needs to come out on the official paper (Resmi Gazete) and then the change comes into practice. The timing is obviously the question, we are estimating this will be published within the next 2 weeks.

My message to future buyers,

My opinion there will be NEW buying laws announced very very soon,The ban on foreign people buying is just temporary,Turkiye as had something similar things happen in the past and sorted it out.

My message to some other estate agents,Calm down and take your mogadon,

Hello TH4S,
Any further updates. I have been looking on the net and am finding it difficult to get an up-date. I was told in May that the hope was for it to be resolved by the end of May?
Paddy

hi paddy - still on hold. however the initial parts of the process - i.e signing contract, getting property checked etc can go ahead. just need to be sure that your solicitor makes it clear in your contract that your deposit is paid upon th assumption that this issue will be resolved.

it has gone through various levels of legislative buraucracy now, so the finish line is in sight.

basically you can still buy in turkey - the wheels can be set in motion, but instead of getting your TAPU in 3-4 mths, it might take 6 mths, but you will get them provided the sale has been handeled correctly and your solicitor has followed the correct procedures. Again make sure that the solicitor allows for the delay in your contract, and don't pay the full amount until the tapu are in your hot little hands!

hi paddyboy. easiest source of info is through expat newspapers in Turkey. It depends on what area you are in.
kusadasi is [broken link removed]
didim - http://www.voicesnewspaper.com/
bodrum - [broken link removed] or http://www.bodrumobserver.com/
not sure of one for alanya.

BTW - latest is that tapu are practically ready to go - government have published it in the official gazetta, so shouldn't take too long now - it will of course depend upon the efficiency of your local council (belidye) and what their back log is like due to the delays. see more info below:
http://www.voicesnewspaper.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1997&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Paddyboy - also look at [broken link removed]

TH4S - see I'm helping you out again lol!

thanks Aegean.
I see in todays turkey herald that the law has been ratified and we are back in business.
Good news for all purchasers and sellers.

Back