Freeway/Currency

titchmurph

Hi all,

I know much has been written about the QL Freeway products. However, I am a little unclear as to dealing in a different currency. I'm going to invest 14k. Because the dollar exchange is poor, maybe investing in US shares is not a good idea? The same re the UK? I'm going with a split of 60 euro, 40 celtic, but I was thinking of changing celtic to 30 and putting the 10 elsewhere. Would greatly appreciate advice re currency etc. I have gone through the other Freeway posts, but still need direction.

Thanks in anticipation,
Titch

You could take the view that now is a good time to invest in a dollar fund as the dollar is at very low levels at the moment against the euro and if the dollar strenghtens you will make a currency gain on your fund when cashing back to euro.

Irish stock market could be close to peak, so I would question a big investment in Celtic Fund

It isnt very clear to me how it matters and I d love someone to explain the following. I invested in the Quinn Life US Freeway when the dollar dipped first.
Since then the Dollar has gone down further yet my freeway has actually grown in Value and is worth more in Euro terms than when I bought into it about 6 weeks ago. I cant remember the exact figure off hand but the average of my investment in QL since February is 7 %.
Ok so a cheaper dollar is good for exports and hence for the companies but if its all in dollars then why havent I lost any money ? When the dollar went down the shares went up to compensate.
Then what were the news reports all about when it was reported that investors were leaving the dollar to invest in the euro because it was stronger ? So why worry about exchange rates?
Seems like swings and roundbouts in my case :confused:

It isnt very clear to me how it matters and I d love someone to explain the following. I invested in the Quinn Life US Freeway when the dollar dipped first.
Since then the Dollar has gone down further yet my freeway has actually grown in Value and is worth more in Euro terms than when I bought into it about 6 weeks ago. I cant remember the exact figure off hand but the average of my investment in QL since February is 7 %.
Ok so a cheaper dollar is good for exports and hence for the companies but if its all in dollars then why havent I lost any money ? When the dollar went down the shares went up to compensate.
Then what were the news reports all about when it was reported that investors were leaving the dollar to invest in the euro because it was stronger ? So why worry about exchange rates?
Seems like swings and roundbouts in my case :confused:

Until this week, US indices had something like 32 consecutive up days, the longest in years. Virtually every day during that time the DJIA for example was hitting all-time highs. So even though your dollar-denominated holdings have decreased versus the euro, the underlying stocks and indices you hold have increased by a greater % than the dollar has declined.

Back