Freedom of expression to companies, people and organisations via email

Harfang

When it comes to expressing one’s opinion via email to a person , organisation or company you find deplorable (in my case say someone that sells snares or is involved in fox hunting with hounds) via email is it illegal to , for example , wish them misfortune and when their time comes a long stint in a very warm hell? i.E To be rude and call them names ? Are we free to express those opinions?

Say a hotel that hosts a hunt ball. I
can certainly email to I would never give them any custom and would encourage others to do likewise. That would be fine. But could you say you hope their business ill fortune and the owners to spend a long time in hell? Sounds daft but I’m trying to make the point.

I think in public when overheard by others it is a different situation.

Is this all freedom of expression? Of course it must not be threatening and while some might feel it’s juvenile and pathetic to stoop to these levels we’ve all called people names , directly or indirectly.

In case I end up there myself as a result.
That's a very good point. Surely anyone who really believes in hell understands wishing that another person should end up there is condemning themselves to the same fate!

I'm not sure on the legal position of wishing someone misfortune, but I really don't like the idea of sending hate mail to people who are not breaking any laws. If we as a society decide that an activity such as hunting is cruel and unconscionable, then let's ensure our legislators make it illegal. Individuals taking it upon themselves to impose a different moral code is not conducive to a properly functioning society.

I'm no fan of hunting, but the idea of those more vehemently opposed to it harassing people engaged in wholly legal activity would put me off supporting a ban.

No-one here can give you legal advice on whether your emails, which you havent even written yet, to a hotel will legally constitute harrassment or a threat or if the hotel will make a complaint to the gardai.
If you make an actual threat, they should make a complaint.

My opinion is that whoever manages the hotel email account probably spends a lot of time deleting rubbish and your email will go into the trash after a 30 second speed read along with the rest.

I've a team working in a high volume customer service environment, unless it contains a specific threat (which on a couple of occassions we've passed to the Gardai) we either ignore or delete them or on occassions, they get passed around the team for a laugh, especially the "do you know who I am" mails. Obviously if there is a specific customer service issue to resolve, we do our best.

I did ask a scam caller once if his mother was proud of him. After a few seconds silence, he hung up

Section 10 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997 is relevent here.

10.—(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

But, seriously, you shouldn't need the law to tell you this is not a good way to behave. We live in one of the most democratic countries on Earth. If you don't like what the law allows, you do have ample freedom to campaign (lawfully and peacefully) to change it. You don't have the right to impose your version of morality on everyone else.

harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.
The key part here is “persistent” which a one-off letter is not.

IANAL but defamation only comes into play if remarks are made to a third party. You can tell someone privately whatever you like about them.

Otherwise the OP should find another hobby.

The key part here is “persistent” which a one-off letter is not.
Absolutely, that is correct.

IANAL but defamation only comes into play if remarks are made to a third party.
Yes, defamation requires "publication" of the defamatory material to at least one other person.

You can tell someone privately whatever you like about them.
To a point. It won't be defamatory. It might be harassment, coercion, threatening behaviour or intimidation, all of which have civil and/or criminal legal consequences. Or people might just think you're an idiot. :)
Otherwise the OP should find another hobby.
Agreed!

It might be harassment, coercion, threatening behaviour or intimidation, all of which have civil and/or criminal legal consequences.
It's a question of degree I suppose. A single letter or email saying "I really disapprove of what you're doing, I don't like you and I hope you end up in hell" cannot be any of things.

Personally I've got into the habit of saying things are my opinion, and not expressing things as a fact without also allowing room that I could be mistaken.

Personally I've got into the habit of saying things are my opinion, and not expressing things as a fact without also allowing room that I could be mistaken.
That's a good policy when talking about Hell or Hades or Narnia or any other makie-up-y place.

Yeah, seemingly she wanted to travel and meet people.
Then she missed me as well. I don't feel so bad now, thanks.

We could have discussed our shared love of Positivity and concerns for the environment...

Back