Free to Air packages

happygoose

Hey,

I'm about to move into my new house and the TV/Internet service provider in the estate is Magnet Entertainment. They've a very good broadband service, however I don't intend using broadband just yet, I just intend taking the TV offer, which is outlined below:

This costs €25 a month plus €99 installation fee, and for the stations listed I feel that I might be better off getting in a free-to-air package.

Can anybody suggest a more reasonable alternative free-to-air package which is reliable, provides a reasonable range of stations, and which I can get installed relatively quickly?

Thanks!

If you want a FTA solution, then you'd need a terrestrial aerial to receive RTE, TV3 and TG4 (these are not free on satellite).

Then a FTA satellite receiver and dish to receive BBC, ITV, Film4, etc. (note that Channel4 is not FTA currently, though this may change later this year).

Make sure beforehand, that your Management Company would have no qualms with you erecting a dish on your house (this is usually a problem for apartments moreso, but worth checking anyway).

If the package includes phone line rental (landline connection????) then it seems like a decent offer, no mention of VAT but I assume it includes.
The FTA option will give you the BBC1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3,4, about six good news channels, a few music and movie channels (the only real decent of the latter being Film4).
All over the FTA option gives you generally as much TELLY as most people want, but ya do need to stick a dish on the wall and trail coax back to the tv which ya can buy for about €100 and do yourself or get someone to do it for €250-300
approx.

on other older threads there are post which say if you get the sky package for a year and then cancel your subscription that you will be left with the free to air channels, bbc 1, itv, film 4 etc...
does anyone know if this is still the case??? and if it does work what excally are the chanels you would be left with??

the free to air package i got last week cost 260 euro with "250 channels"...the only thing is there is prob only 10 of these channels worth watching bbc, itv, film 4, sky news....so if i could get a cheap sky package for a year for and then have the free to air channels after the year it would prob be a much better deal...

I've head that Channel 4 is going FTA in the next few months.

Anyone confirm this ?

Still nothing definite as far as I know - see here for example:
Currently channels operated by Channel 4, with the exception of Film4, are unavailable due to an encryption contract with Sky lasting until October 2008. However, Channel 4 has expressed an interest in broadcasting free-to-air when that contract expires[4]
I actually thought that the Sky contract expired early in 2008 (e.g. around now!).

Freesat is to launch this Spring too, though no news yet. It was rumoured that C4 were hoping to be FTA for the Freesat launch, but it is merely rumour at this stage.

Opinion often conflicts too as to whether C4's contract with Sky ends in Spring, or October. Will just have to hope it's the former!

on other older threads there are post which say if you get the sky package for a year and then cancel your subscription that you will be left with the free to air channels, bbc 1, itv, film 4 etc...
does anyone know if this is still the case??? and if it does work what excally are the chanels you would be left with??

I did this in sep 2006 got 6 months free sky sports too.
Then bought UK yellow house card on ebay and now get free BBCs, ITVs, c4, Film 4 and c5 along with the rest of the free stuff.

Back