Free software and tech support links

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ClubMan, 19 Oct 2005.

1. ClubMan

ClubMan Frequent Poster

I've mentioned Gizmo Richards' Tech Support Alert website before but just to reiterate it contains some very useful to free software and tech support sites and you can also register for a very informative free tech support newsletter that is sent out from time to time. For example, if AAM contributors can't provide the answer to your tech support problem then it might be worth trying some of the support sites listed. Hope this helps.

2. Guest127

Guest127 Guest

DR M. Zonealarm have a firewall. comes 2nd to Kerio in that gizmo list CM has compiled. Kerio is ok now anyway. dont know where it went yesteday. Walkabout maybe.

3. car

car Frequent Poster

Top 100 downloads. probably a lot of the same downloads as contained in the other links but I like the way this one is organised.

4. runner

runner Frequent Poster

Nice list Car,
    Thanks

5. ClubMan

ClubMan Frequent Poster

Yeah - another useful list alright. Thanks car.

6. Janet

Janet Frequent Poster

7. car

car Frequent Poster

Some more from a crowd called nirsoft.

These are more techy then anything else but someone may get use out of them.

8. ClubMan

ClubMan Frequent Poster

I have just started using Copernic Desktop Search and it seems pretty good so far - and doesn't seem to suffer from the same security/privacy concerns as other alternatives. In particular much better for searching emails than the unpredicatable search facility built into Outlook.

9. redstar

redstar Frequent Poster

10. euroDilbert

euroDilbert Frequent Poster

Could I also recommend http://www.x1.com/ for desktop searches. I find it better than Google or Copernic (partly because I use Eudora for email).

Supports a huge range of file types.

11. car

car Frequent Poster

Try launchy a little app that makes it easier to open applications. Been testing today and find it useful. 2 tips, definitely read the pdf before use and make sure you know the name of the app youre trying to open.

12. meathenterpr

meathenterpr Frequent Poster

Try OpenCD. A lot of high quality open source software on this CD. You ca see the cd list here.

13. car

car Frequent Poster

Finding windows slow to boot up? Try this startup program delayer, windows starts a number of programs at startup and usually wont let you do anything until all programs have started. This app will let you delay some of the programs until after youve started windows and are working away. I gave it a quick test and got good results.

14. DrMoriarty

DrMoriarty Moderator

I see our friends at Google are following AAM's lead... ;)

15. car

car Frequent Poster

lot of links the same as above but a few new ones as well.. an education link for the first time too, Id be interested in compiling a list of education freeware apps in one place if anyone has some theyed like to contribute.

300bestfreewarelinks

16. ClubMan

ClubMan Frequent Poster

I just signed up for Gizmo Richards' Premium SE Edition of his newsletter/website. For a mere $10 it is well worth it in my opinion. Especially considering the benefit I already got from his free version.

17. car

car Frequent Poster

clonespy
    shows you duplicate files on your hard drive.

18. car

car Frequent Poster

Free language courses. Im putting here as it free software I suppose. I downloaded 1 of the tapes and the notes for french, they need to be used together.

Languages covered are

Amharic
    Arabic
    Cambodian
    Cantonese
    Chinese
    Finnish
    French
    German
    Greek
    Hebrew
    Hungarian
    Korean
    Portuguese
    Spanish
    Swahili
    Swedish
    Thai
    Turkish
    Vietnamese

19. DrMoriarty

DrMoriarty Moderator

Nice one, car. Now can anyone recommend a download assistant (without the spyware of the dreaded GetRight, etc.) that would 'harvest' from all those links instead of having to right-click/save-as on each of them individually? :)

20. car

car Frequent Poster

lord only knows where youd get something like that. ;)