Free Legal Aid - How Long?

mcb

Hi

I am just wondering does anyone know aprrox how long does it take to qualify for free legal aid. I am based in Dublin and have been told by a private solicitor that I would qualify for it.

Also, just say, for example, in a couple of months time I was granted free legal aid would I have to start using them straight away or can you use them when required?

I am separated and have not gone down the legal route yet but have a feeling ex might start before me, so I want to be prepared and ready to go if ex starts proceedings before me.

Hi mcb, I'm not sure about the wait in Dublin, I think there is about a 6 month wait in Cork. If you ring your Legal Aid Centre they will be able to tell you.

What Missdaisy said.

The only people who can tell you if your entitled to Legal Aid are the Law Centres themselves. Don't just assume you are because a Solicitor said so.

Also on another note, Civil Legal Aid is means tested and its not free. There is a contribution you have to pay depending on your disposable income.

You can start the proceedings yourself, you dont have to wait to be served. Also I think if you do qualify for Legal Aid you have a certain timeframe to take up your certificate. You cant just decide to use the Legal Aid Board when you like.

AN

Back