Free Dental Visits

Duck

I have been working and paying PRSI for the last 4 years,I am in full time work and in a permanent position. I recently went to the Dentist for a check up under the impression that it was free because I pay PRSI,however the Dentist has told me that I dont qualify because I haven't been paying PRSI for atleast 5 years,is this true???He wants me back for a number of visits and needless to say it will be very costly if I cannot avail of the relief due to paying PRSI. Is there any way around this or can I even claim some of the expenses off tax at the end of the year????

You only need 39 contributions in the year of reckoning which is 2004. The dentist is talking ****! Apply for the benefit and see what happens.

You can check if you are entitled to 2 free check-ups/cleaning per annum by calling the DSFA Treatment Benefit section on 1890 400 400 (Ext 4480) and quoting your PPS number.

If you are entitled, when you make an appointment with the dentist tell the receptionist you qualify under PRSI and fill in a Tretment Benefit Form.

You can only claim tax relief on form MED2 for non-routine dental treatment. See [broken link removed]for details.

Just ring Welfare on LoCall 1890 400 400 (have your PPSN handy) and they will tell you if you are in benefit or not. If your dentist is playing silly buggers about providing PRSI subsidised treatment then complain to him and find another one.

Post crossed with delgirl's.

Dependig on your age you need to have different numbers of PRSI contributions.

A call to Welfare is best.

Well if this is a service then possibly Yes. Might fire off an email to Welfare.

I remember when I started working and was over the age threshold i remember having to have 5 years prsi contributions before getting the subsidised and free visits. Also a collegue who has only been on the payroll for 2 years (was contracting previously) was NOT entitled to subsidised dental treatment and had to pay 250 for 3 fillings.

Duck said:
I have been working and paying PRSI for the last 4 years,I am in full time work and in a permanent position. I recently went to the Dentist for a check up under the impression that it was free because I pay PRSI,however the Dentist has told me that I dont qualify because I haven't been paying PRSI for atleast 5 years,is this true???He wants me back for a number of visits and needless to say it will be very costly if I cannot avail of the relief due to paying PRSI. Is there any way around this or can I even claim some of the expenses off tax at the end of the year????

Same happened to me, my uderstanding is that when you are under 25 you need to have 2 years of PRSI. but 5 years when your over 25. its a load of Bol**. Definately age discrimination in me opinion

bond-007 said:
The dentist is talking ****
mayotom said:
its a load of Bol**.
The mind b*ggl*s.

Perhaps people could try posting without the self censored expletives (two already in this thread alone) and still manage to get their point across clearly?

I am not covered for dental treatment so I go to Newry for my dental treatments.My sister is covered for treatment but her visits still work out more then mine did in Newry. What kind of a servise is that.We are all in the EU how come the EU rules dont apply to dentist, chemsts, doctors etc!!!!

mayotom said:
Same happened to me, my uderstanding is that when you are under 25 you need to have 2 years of PRSI. but 5 years when your over 25. its a load of Bol**. Definately age discrimination in me opinion

The reason for that is many workers recently out of third level will not have been working long enough to get 5 years contributions so they get a break by having a lower threshold.

Its still age discrimination what ever way you look at it. I wonder if anyone has taken a case to the equality authourity about it?

ClubMan said:
Just ring Welfare on LoCall 1890 400 400 (have your PPSN handy) and they will tell you if you are in benefit or not. If your dentist is playing silly buggers about providing PRSI subsidised treatment then complain to him and find another one.

Post crossed with delgirl's.

Clubman
I was just venting my anger, and I'm sure Mayotom was the same.

Sorry

dam099 said:
The reason for that is many workers recently out of third level will not have been working long enough to get 5 years contributions so they get a break by having a lower threshold.

yes but most graduates will not have worked for 5 years untill they are 27 or 28 so I just think there is a gap in the system

Wish I'd seen this thread before I turned 25!

I am 26 now and have four full years of PRSI contributions made, and therefore would appear to not be entitled to benefit. A pity, as I discovered that I need a number of fillings soon.

However I worked during the summers in college (for about 3 months at a time) and previous to that while I was in school. Does anybody know if people normally make PRSI contributions while in summer jobs / part-time work? If so, would they count towards my current PRSI contributions and allow me to bump me up to the 260 week requirement?

If it helps - I worked for local authorities and consultancies as a college student, i.e. not cash in hand, it was all very above board.

However I worked during the summers in college (for about 3 months at a time) and previous to that while I was in school. Does anybody know if people normally make PRSI contributions while in summer jobs / part-time work? If so, would they count towards my current PRSI contributions and allow me to bump me up to the 260 week requirement?

Yes you should have paid a contribution for each week whilst in a summer job. No harm to check if they included these in their calculations.

That's great news, thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if temporary or part time positions paid PRSI. With any luck that should bump me up to 260 weeks!

Back