Freaky luck with sump on Opel Astra?

Kitty

Freaky luck with Opel Astra?

Hi there,
My dad has a 2002 Opel Astra which he decied to tradein for an upgrade for another this January. However, my brother & his wife were in the market for their first car (2nd hand) so we figured, why not buy from my dad, as the history of the car is well known and good (see ** below), rather than they buy from an unknown source & dad could use their money to help purchase the new car without the trade-in.
Would you beleive, on their very first journey in their very first car, (only three hours later!) the oil ran out, and engine started smoking and they had to be towed into Dublin!
The opel garage to which he was towed says the sump has fallen out, as a result of a mechanical failure (although my dad took some convincing my brother didnt bump it) and will cost 2,500 to replace engine. The 2002 car is out of warranty and insurance (comprehensive) say it isnt covered as it is a mechanical failure.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the following:
1. How freaky is the sump falling out or is it common?
2. Is anyone liable for cost of replacing engine? Insurance/ warranty/ guy who serviced it in september and found no fault?
3. failing a favourable answer to 2. above, Who in your opinion should cover the cost of the repairs - Dad or my brother?. I think Dad (retired) will offer to pay the bulk of it, but neither he nor brother are really in the money
4. Should Dad proceed with getting new 2006 Opel (due to be picked up today) from the same garage from whom 2002 was bought? Should garage offer a discount of any sort as a good will gesture or am I being naive?
5. **Timing belt in 2002 opel astra had to be changed but garage never advised that this would need to be done. Should they have or should dad have known or is it in the small print?

All comments welcome.

Re: Freaky luck with Opel Astra?

I've asked Mr Mo to respond to your questions as he has experience with Opels in particular (NB not a mechanic but very familiar with cars & engines)
Kitty said:
1. How freaky is the sump falling out or is it common?
The sump falling out is extremely uncommon, almost never happens
Kitty said:
2. Is anyone liable for cost of replacing engine? Insurance/ warranty/ guy who serviced it in september and found no fault?
Nobody is liable for the cost of replacing the engine, particularly if it was last serviced in September, there is no accounting for what could have happened to the car in the interim
Kitty said:
3. failing a favourable answer to 2. above, Who in your opinion should cover the cost of the repairs - Dad or my brother?. I think Dad (retired) will offer to pay the bulk of it, but neither he nor brother are really in the money
Caveat Emptor, your brother should have had the car checked out by a fully qualified mechanic before purchasing it from your father. It is not your father's responsibility to pay for repairs to a car that is no longer his own.
Kitty said:
4. Should Dad proceed with getting new 2006 Opel (due to be picked up today) from the same garage from whom 2002 was bought? Should garage offer a discount of any sort as a good will gesture or am I being naive?
Personally I wouldn't buy an Opel at all, however that is MHO and as above caveat emptor. I would suggest that he refers to various best buy guides such as "Which?" etc.
Kitty said:
5. **Timing belt in 2002 opel astra had to be changed but garage never advised that this would need to be done. Should they have or should dad have known or is it in the small print?
This is in the small print unfortunately
HTH

Thanks for the detailed reply. (I'm new to this AAm site & the principle too & am amazed at how cool it is!). I totally agree with your sentiments re caveat emptor.
Just had it clarified for me, the sump didnt fall out, but something within the engine (dont have the exact word for it cam rod or pinrod or something) came apart and fell through the sump putting a hole the size of a fist in it, letting the oil seep out.

Sounds like the timing belt broke, which inturn damaged a conrod which went out thru the sump.

Timing belt breaks/slipping seems to be quite common on Opels and is very expensive to fix.

All Opel drivers should take note

Was Car a Diesel ?

No it wasnt a deisel. Timing belt was changed at 33k and car is now at 53k. We are awaiting the garage to report back on what the problem was exactly - be interesting to see what they say. I suppose the same logic re any liability applies- Mechanical failure so not covered by insurance, & it has been some time since timing belt got done, so one at fault there. Just bad luck - they only had it 3 hours!

Back