Freakwent spelling errors

More of a spoken one but...

Intrical (?) for integral.

Irregardless.

I hate the US usage of envision.

But that pacific example was given earlier in the thread!

BTW, the cure is to ask them if they've ever swum in the specific ocean!

My personal hate is the use of american english spelling by non-americans; I worked with a girl (Irish born) who always spelt "cheque" as "check", "colour" was "color" and so on. This was not confined to electronic documents so was not a case of using an american english dictionary for spellcheck.

Personally I hate when people say "he's" for "his" - e.g. "he's hat" instead of "his hat". Karen Coleman on Newstalk always says this for example.

Also - when people (a) use "bullet points" when speaking and then forget to continue on after the first one...

Not really on topic but the American use of the word awesome to describe the most mundane thing really gets in my wick. For example, question to yank after meal; “How was your burger?” answer; “It was awesome!”
The birth of your child, seeing a whale swimming beside you while in the sea, the view from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, comprehending the vastness of space; all of these things are awesome.
A burger, a film (movie), a new sofa, alloys for your car, a night on the town, an item of clothing; none of these things are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The birth of your child, seeing a whale swimming beside you while in the sea, the view from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, comprehending the vastness of space; all of these things are awesome.
You mean all at the same time? That certainly would be awesome!

I lov dis post verry much.

Some years back I was working for a religious organisation and they were launching a video (yes I did say some years ago!!!!) which had been produced for promotional purposes. It was being shown for all their own priests first and I was asked to do a notice for their dining area to let them know. The sign should have read:
"A public showing will take place tonight @ 7p.m. ........."

However I left the letter "l" out of one of the words which slightly changed the meaning. Needless to say there was a massive turnout for the launch!!!!!

I lov dis post verry much.

Some years back I was working for a religious organisation and they were launching a video (yes I did say some years ago!!!!) which had been produced for promotional purposes. It was being shown for all their own priests first and I was asked to do a notice for their dining area to let them know. The sign should have read:
"A public showing will take place tonight @ 7p.m. ........."

However I left the letter "l" out of one of the words which slightly changed the meaning. Needless to say there was a massive turnout for the launch!!!!!
So did the audience get what they expected or did you rip them off?

Been instead of being.
Should of instead of Should have

One of my favourites has to have been a sign on a bucket of bargain cushions in a Banana Tree shop in Tallaght which stated, "Zips broke".

Yes, this really gets on my nerves and it is frightening how often you see it.

Well done on spotting that Megan. Bet all the other posters are feeling a little embarrassed now, eh?:rolleyes:

My favourite (albeit spoken) one is of the man who wanted to be buried on "concentrated ground".

Back