Fox Digging Up My Garden

Niallymac

I posted on this some time back, problem has got worse, the fox is now digging multiple holes in my garden. The advice then was to phone the DSPCA. I did this, and their advice to me was that I cannot touch the animal, its habitat, or attempt to move him by law. They suggested I extend my perimeter wall to beyond its current 6 feet to keep the beast out, hardly practical given the cost of getting brickies in Dublin these days.

So I went to Woodies, got the smelliest stuff I've ever got a whiff of, put it all around the perimeter of my garden, and low and behold, he was back next morning. So a few months on, and with his nightly digs now reaching epidemic proportions, is there anyone out there that might now how I can get rid of the beast ( with exception of shooting him, which I would gladly do if I had a gun....ok animal rights people, I know I can't do this either)

Did anybody suggest what the fox might be digging for? If it's something that it's trying to dig out rather than burying maybe if you can deal with that it might reduce or eliminate the problem? Not sure if this constitutes meddling with the habitat though.

Niallymac said:
The advice then was to phone the DSPCA. I did this, and their advice to me was that I cannot touch the animal, its habitat, or attempt to move him by law.

There goes the option of a solicitor's letter to cease and desist his activities.

Generally, foxes would be digging for earthworms and grubs.

Thanks for the advice. From what I've read, it seems likely the fox will outsmart me whatever I do. Maybe I'll try the electronic device as last resort. If that fails, I'll start leaving him some grub at th end of the garden so he doesn't spend his nights burrowing for worms etc on my lawn. We may even become friends !

Get yourself a terrier, the fox won't stay around long
just train the dog not to do the same and your sorted.

i had the same problem (only rabbits and foxes) in the countryside, we got a jack russell and he cleared the lot in a week

Good luck
B

Back