Foundation cert/6 point letter

dudeman

Guys,

Is it possible to have an engineer draw up one of these after a house has been built without he/she having seen the foundations being poured?

I started building my self build in Feb last year and am about ready to start fitting out the inside. I've completed the work so far using savings but now I need a mortgage to finish it..

I've been told I need a 6 point letter in order to secure a mortgage, but i never had an engineer present when the foundations were poured :-(

Surely I'm not the only person thats found themselves in this predicament. I've heard of projects where the engineer wasnt available on the day to witness the foundations being poured but they still signed off on the cert.

I have images of the whole build so far and have dug out the esb connection whole so the foundations are visible for examination/test.

Can anyone suggest a solution for me?

Cheers
dudeman

if you indemnify an engineeer against any settlement then probably yes, how can he 'guarantee' what he has not seen properly.

is there a radon barrier and is it visible ??

was the job done by a reputable tradesman the engineer would know or know of , that would help ??

have you detailed receipts for all the materials used, are there photos ??

>is there a radon barrier and is it visible ??
Yep radon barrier was installed as is visible in certain parts

>was the job done by a reputable tradesman the engineer would know or know of , that would help ??
Seems pretty reputable. He's done loads of work (much bigger jobs) in the neighbourhood and like I said .. this was build in Feb last year and no cracks/obvious flaws have appeared.

>have you detailed receipts for all the materials used, are there photos ??
I'm pretty sure I have receipts for all of the materials. I have photos right from the get-go yes.. including the foundation dig, steel fitting, pouring, rought course, radon barrier etc...

Cheers
dudeman

yeah but 2pack.. thats my problem :-\ If I approach any engineer with my situation most of them would run a mile.

It would be ideal if I had a friend or knew an engineer but I dont, so cold-calling one isnt really an option. Most would think I have a hidden agenda :-\

Cheers
dudeman

produce all the above and tell them you thought your could finish it on savings and misbudgeted. You will find one.

just make sure its totally compliant with planning permission or they will run a mile !

otherwise you pay over the odds thats all.

Hmm.. Still think will have a problem ;-\ Wonder would I be best trying to get a list of engineers (from the board members) and mailing them details/photos etc..

naw he's like most roofers.. doubt he even insures himself !

So I suppose what I'm asking is does anyone know any engineer I could hire to get me past this obstacle?

cheers
dudeman

Back