Found two white tablets in a tube of smarties!

Did you not read the Manchester Evening News link above? On the basis of that article, its NOT paracetemol.

Did you not read the Manchester Evening News link above? On the basis of that article, its NOT paracetemol.

The article is nearly 4 years old and the numbers/letters on the tablet are completely different so I don't know if any conclusions can be drawn based on it.

They are hard white tablets about 15mm long and 5mm thick with the edges rounded and an indented line running accross the middle ... they have the text "PARA" on one side of the line and the number "500" on the other.

Like this?

Well FSAI or the in the UK. FSAI would probably get in touch with the latter or with Nestle directly.

Even though the purchase was made in the UK?

Yep - based on their mission statement (with my bolding for emphasis);

Our mission is to protect consumers' health and consumers' interests by ensuring that food consumed, distributed, marketed or produced in the state meets the highest standards of food safety and hygiene.

Hi all,

Just an update on what's going on and thanks for all your posts in relation to what to do.

Having contacted Nestle (over the phone and e-mail) and then the Irish food safety authority their advice was to send a half of one of the tablets to a pharmacy for analysis. The initial reaction is that they are paracetamol but this can't be confirmed yet.

The rest of the smarties, the tube and the other tablet and a half are gone to nestle. I know some of you advised against this but they have to launch their own internal investigation straight away to prevent anything similar happening!

In answer to some of your questions, we are 110% sure that the tablets were in the tube before we broke the seal, there is no other possible senario to explain how they got there. The tablets shown in the pictures posted are round but the ones we found are a rectangular shape, about 15mm long and 5mm thick with rounded edges.

I'll post an update as soon as I have any news.

Back