Form 12 Information

L

Lost2006

Hi,
I recently got a form in the door by the Revenue called "Form 12" Tax Returns for the year 2005. What I dont understand is why I got this form in the door. Anyone I ask has never got it or ever heard of it. When i contacted Revenue about this they were not very helpful, they just said that i was selected by randam and I must fill the form out and return it. Most of the questions on the form are not relevant to me. I dont own a business or any land. I have an ordinary job. I do have an SSIA and An Post Instalment Savings Scheme. I also applied for a "P21 Tax Balancing Statement" off the Revenue a few weeks back which i have not received yet. Could any of those factors be the reason?

Thanks

i was selected by randam

Why not take them at their word - you were unlucky enough to be selected randomly. The form isn't that difficult to fill if your only income is from an ordinary job (PAYE) , SSIA (Exit tax deducted by provider) and An Post Saving scheme (tax-free) - most of the form you just but zero or Not Applicable (N/A)

How did you apply for a balancing statement?
Chances are they are asking you to complete the form 12 in order for them to generate a balancing statement for you

It may related to your application for a balancing statement alright. They may not be sure that they have the necessary information to process this. Alternatively the do indeed send P12s out to PAYE workers on a random or targeted basis from time to time. It doesn't mean that they suspect you or anything. Just part of keeping records up to date. I can't see what the problem is with just filling it in and returning it either... Any questions that are not relevant should be left blank or NIL entered into the amount field (or whatever the instructions say about this).

Except the link seems to be broken - i.e. the [broken link removed] link on [broken link removed].

There is also an opportunity to claim for bin charges and medical expenses on Form 12.

Back