Form 11. Working from home. How much Rent is allowable?

Brian O'Brien

Hi there. Is there particular guidance or a rule of thumb on if you are working from home as to how much Rent you could allow as an expenses.

Say it's a couple. One is PAYE worker the other is self employed who works 4 days a week from home. If for example the rent is 700 per week I was thinking in the absence of guidance that allowable for the Self Employed spouse for that week would be 700/2 (2 people) x 4/7 (number of days worked from home) x 8/24 (hours in the day worked)?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Is the house a workshop or business premise?

A worker who works say 2-3 days a week in an office, and then 2-3 days a week from home, is not entitles to claim rent as a tax relief.

Last edited:
There is no rule of thumb because no two situations are the same.
Say it's a couple. One is PAYE worker the other is self employed who works 4 days a week from home. If for example the rent is 700 per week I was thinking in the absence of guidance that allowable for the Self Employed spouse for that week would be 700/2 (2 people) x 4/7 (number of days worked from home) x 8/24 (hours in the day worked)?
If I were in that situation, I'd claim nothing. You have to pay the rent regardless of where or how you're working.

Back