form 11 or form 12?

Kelb28

Hi...

My parent have rented out a house and i said i'd fill out the tax return. i assumed i was to use Form 11 but now i see there is a form 12... what is the difference which should i use?

thanks

Hi...

My parent have rented out a house and i said i'd fill out the tax return. i assumed i was to use Form 11 but now i see there is a form 12... what is the difference which should i use?

thanks

PAYE worker's fill out a form 12. Self employed people fill out a form 11. If the taxable rent after expenses is more than €3,174 then you are considered to be a "chargeable person" and obliged to fill out a form 11 every year and subject to self assessment deadlines. PAYE workers are not expected to do a tax return every year but any taxable income must be returned on a form 12.

Thnaks for that... its a loss this years anyways so Fom 12 it is. Was confused cos i do my partners on a form 11 but he is self employed. thats great. can fill in those forms now. would you recommend filling online?

My colleague has a situation wherein 2 PAYE taxpayers (husband and wife) have 50% of a house with their daughter (PAYE, but has to file Form 11 anyway), the house was purchased in 2006 and profit will be about 5000 in total, I presume that the parents will only have to file a Form 12?

I am a PAYE worker as is my wife. we have a residential investment property and my wife took out a PRSA last year and paid a PRSA contribution in respect of 2005. I completed the Form 11 and sent to Revenue who apparently lost it. Contacted them recently and they said to send a copy to local tax office, not Limerick as it says on the Form 11. Local tax office is now dealing with 2005 claim. Now, which do I complete for 2006 - Form 11 aznd send to Limerick or local tax office OR Form 12 (which I do not think has a section for PRSA contributions)?

Any thoughts?

Slim

My colleague has a situation wherein 2 PAYE taxpayers (husband and wife) have 50% of a house with their daughter (PAYE, but has to file Form 11 anyway), the house was purchased in 2006 and profit will be about 5000 in total, I presume that the parents will only have to file a Form 12?

so parents share is 50% of €5,000 = €2,500?
if yes then under 3,175 so form 12

Is a partnership return not also required in this case?
Thanks for the replies guys, re the above, would that require much extra to be done, I was going to do it for them as a favour (I normally get a good meal out of it!!), but if it's getting complicated, I'd advise them to get a professional.

Form 1 (Firms) is the partnership return. The partnership may also have to register for tax in its own right. Personally if I were you I wouldn't take this sort of work on unless I had specific prior experience and knew exactly what was required. Will they appreciate your effort if you get it wrong?

Form 1 (Firms) is the partnership return. The partnership may also have to register for tax in its own right. Personally if I were you I wouldn't take this sort of work on unless I had specific prior experience and knew exactly what was required. Will they appreciate your effort if you get it wrong?
Since I don't accept money and ensure they know exactly what the risks are (ie I am not a tax professional, nor have I worked in practice for a long time) I don't think they've any comeback!!
I haven't got the full details yet, but from what I know of the situation it's an informal venture between parents and child, the three names are on the deeds but that's the only formalisation that exists. Anyway, I'll have a look at the Form 1 and see what the next step should be, thanks again.

Back