Fork in the road

I'd also agree with leave of absence - even three months. You would be amazed how refreshed you will feel after it plus you can see if the reality of travelling is as good as you imagine.

Your biggest obstacle is to forget about your background. You have done very well due to hard work and intelligence and perhaps luck. Move forward.

Enjoy your life. Spend some money on yourself -this might mean booking a holiday home to invite your family to an exotic location. You will pay for your parents. :)

Nobody will want to remember you as the guy who did well but didn't enjoy life.

Take care of number1.

Marion

Many employers do recognise that people need a break. You can do it without throwing it all away. Look into the leave of absence or sabbatical options. It feels like a big step to take but it's not a big deal.
My other advice would be to look at your interests outside of work. Now is the time to look at that thing that you'd love to do but never got around to . . . there are loads of opportunities to travel combining it with some sort of interest. There are singles trips, culinary trips, archeology field trips, volunteer conservation trips, hiking trips in the Himalayas ... you name it. THis might help you decide how much time off you want to take. Professionally I think this sort of thing looks good on a CV!
I don't believe you should put off all this by 10 years as who knows what will happen tomorrow and it's best to think things through while you're in the frame of mind for it which you seem to be.

Back