Forged signature on financial statements

James1234

I was employed as a company financial controller and acted as company secretary, I left this position in September 2020. The company registered the change of secretary in February 2021, effective from September 2020.
I see that the most recently filed financial statements have me listed as signing the auditors report in January 2021. I never signed this nor was I asked to.
Should I contact the CRO to get this changed?

Contact the company in the first instance and get them to rectify it to your satisfaction. If that’s not done you can take advice on what to do next as regards rectification. Put your concerns in writing to the company.

The Company Secretary is a statutory office and it’s not a good thing if your signature is being forged.

Look at it from a worst case scenario: what happens if the accounts with your name on them come under some regulatory scrutiny, criminal investigation or are the subject of litigation? It’s your name on the document and you in the witness box.

I wouldn’t be happy in the knowledge that my name is on such a document, in any event.

We do not know if the signature was forged or not.

All we know is that the CRO have recorded that James1234 is listed as signing the auditors report - this could be because the company did not update their records on CRO until Feb 2021 - but it does not prove that his signature is actually on the report.

It is a requirement to file a change of Company Secretary within 14 days of the change using a form B10

Last edited:
We do not know if the signature was forged or not.

All we know is that the CRO have recorded that James1234 is listed as signing the auditors report - this could be because the company did not update their records on CRO until Feb 2021 - but it does not prove that his signature is actually on the report.
I was operating on the basis of a forged signature per the Thread Title and the OP’s account.

Nonetheless, a simple CRO document request by the OP of the actual signed accounts would show whether the signature is the OP’s or not.

Thanks for both of your replies. Perhaps I have wrongly assumed the signature has been forged. When viewing the submissions on Core I purchased the standard set which only shows the typed entry, I will get the original to confirm before contacting the company.

Back