Forged Irish Passports (Again)

Fake passport can mean any of the following:

1. Fake passport booklet i.e. forger prints/binds a replica of an Irish passport.

2. Real passport obtained using fake details i.e. the passport is a genuine one issued by D/Foreign Affairs, however, it was obtained using fraudulent application details.

3. Real passport booklet, fake details i.e. someone obtained genuine blank passport booklets (robbery or bribery) and added the personal details themselves.

While all of the above are big concerns, if it is 2 or 3, then it is a very very serious issue and heads need to role.

In my opinion, Irish passports are too easy to obtain. There is no real verification of details. The principal documents used to obtain one are birth certificates. You cannot identify someone using a birth certificate and all birth certs are openly available for purchase by any member of the public.

3. Real passport booklet, fake details i.e. someone obtained genuine blank passport booklets (robbery or bribery) and added the personal details themselves.

Or they just buy the same printers and role their own...

Stolen or sold passports can be used to give new identities . Passports can have the details changed.Criminals will always find ways to do this even though it is more difficult now.
It is or at least was too easy for people of differing nationalities to get irish passports. It never ceased to amaze me how many travellers with very little links to Ireland have irish passports.

Irish passports by the way don’t have the latest security standards like some of other EU countries.

Irish passports only have a chip that has the picture not finger prints , Irish passport while printed on a plastic card don’t have the special coating like other countries passports, Irish passports can be applied via mail with minimal documents while other countries require in person applications with strict controls.

I disagree. I got a passport recently. In order to get a photo signed the Gardai at a station near where I work sent me to my local Garda station. And there they thouroughly checked out my name address etc.

There are all sorts of security features built into the coating (ok, saddo here held it up to the light & got a magnifying glass at it!). The older type passport was a doddle to fake in comparison to the new type.

I disagree. I got a passport recently. In order to get a photo signed the Gardai at a station near where I work sent me to my local Garda station. And there they thouroughly checked out my name address etc.

But, the reality is that the Gardai have no way of verifying your identity. An identity thief could present with someone elses genuine details (name/address/birth cert) and his/her own photo. In urban areas, the Gardai in the local station do not personally know the vast majority of local people - they just sign the photos and record the fact that they have done so. The whole system is based on the old fashion rural notion that the local Garda knows everyone in the village. Not good enough in modern times.

Agreed.

If I walked into my local station I can guarantee you that no one on duty would know me from Adam.

Where are all the protesters? I haven't heard about any of them shouting outside the Russian embassy about their spies using Irish passports in America.

Where are all the protesters? I haven't heard about any of them shouting outside the Russian embassy about their spies using Irish passports in America.

AFAIK, the fake Irish passports used by Russians weren't used to facilitate an assassination.

Not that that's an excuse for forging a passport but the distinction should be made I think.

AFAIK, the fake Irish passports used by Russians weren't used to facilitate an assassination.

Not that that's an excuse for forging a passport but the distinction should be made I think.

OK, so it's ok for a police state to forge passports in order to spy on a friendly democracy but it's not OK for a friendly democracy to forge Irish passports in order to kill a terrorist.
It that why there’s no protests or is it because of the anti-Israeli feelings of the protestors?

I think ultimately that's the point, but I would suspect if if did involve Israeli spying rather than assassination, we'd still see an outcry. That might just be paranoia.

Mind from my own shallow view, my lack of vexation in the Russian case is simple. Compare a Russian suspect to an . I rest my case.

Purple is right but I always think the idiots who protest outside embassies haven't got a clue what they are protesting against. It's reminds me of the time I was in Sydney during an anti-globalisation march. I worked in a bank and was locked inside while people were smashing up local businesses etc. After they vented for awhile, we saw a few of them withdraw money from an ATM and head over to McDonalds for a bite to eat. I don't think they saw the irony.

As an aside, I can't believe the US and Russia are exchanging spies in Vienna. Sounds like a really bad movie!

OK, so it's ok for a police state to forge passports in order to spy on a friendly democracy but it's not OK for a friendly democracy to forge Irish passports in order to kill a terrorist.
It that why there’s no protests or is it because of the anti-Israeli feelings of the protestors?

I never said it was OK for anybody to forge anybody's passport.

Maybe the protests in Ireland were because the forged passports were used to kill somebody.

I lost my passport on a business trip to the UK recently (thank you City jet for letting me on with my driving licence). I reported it at my local Garda station next day and got the form for the new one signed there as well. For the form, I had a photocopy of my passport but other then that, the Guard didn't ask for anything else. He recorded my missing passport in a battered book and filed it away again. I presume that it was input into something more high tech afterwards, curious if anyone knows what happens after it's reported at the station?

Nothing normally.

It is only when a new passport is applied for does the passport office become aware of the loss.

Interesting how all those who were calling for the expulsion of Israeli ambassador and cutting diplomatic ties with Israel over the forged Irish passports are not calling for expulsion of the Russian ambassador and cutting diplomatic ties with Russia.

Interesting how all those who were calling for the expulsion of Israeli ambassador and cutting diplomatic ties with Israel over the forged Irish passports are not calling for expulsion of the Russian ambassador and cutting diplomatic ties with Russia.

That's because they are morons.

Back