Foreign Property purchase as lifestyle investment

gnf_ireland

*I am not 100% sure which forum to put this into, so mods please move if you think it would be better placed elsewhere*

For us, it was a lifestyle purchase which I think has paid enormous dividend providing release from a demanding job.

In a recent money makeover thread, the topic of purchasing a foreign property came up. I am keen to get the experiences of those who have purchased properties for their own personal use as a lifestyle choice, rather than those who purchased them as investment opportunities. I would like to understand what they feel the difference has been to their lives by doing this, and what was the thought process that went into deciding what the purchase was etc.

Country & Region of Purchase - ?
Type & Size - villa, townhouse, apartment etc
Funding - Cash, Local Mortgage, Irish Mortgage (against PPR)
Location - rural, town or urban
Principle considerations when identifying the purchase - [for example, did you have a particular country in mind and then narrow from there, or start with a blank canvas? Guessing transport is a big consideration? Do you speak the local language etc? Did you want to be in a local area or 'ex-pat' area
Do you rent it out when not using it - ? [was this a consideration at the time]
How often do you use the property per year - ? days (roughly) and number of trips
How often do family/friends use the property per year - ? days (roughly)
How often do you rent out the property per year - ? days (roughly)
Family demographics when you purchased it - so your rough age and the ages of the kids? How big was the use for the kids in the discussion?

What impact do you believe it has made to your lifestyle since you purchased it?
Do you regret it, would you advise others to do the same?
What would you differently if you were doing it again?
Do you feel 'restricted' by your holidays in that you go back to the same place over and over again as opposed to exploring the world? Do you suffer from the travel bug in general or more a 'home body'?
Anything else you consider important - e.g. family connections to the area, got an inheritance from someone who loved travel or whatever?

Our personal circumstances are relatively straight forward - generally financially comfortable, kids just starting primary school so have school holidays to cater for the next 14 years odd. We are in our early 40's, and would hopefully look to retire in our early 60's - although may do some ad-hoc consulting for a few years before that. As a family we love travelling and exploring the world and plan to go on a number of 'adventure holidays' with the kids as they get older. But we are also considering a place we can hide out in for the other school breaks.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any experiences they give to assist us in our general thought process .. either positive or negative !

Back