Ford SMax - revisited

igloo

The Igloo clan is expanding and we are in the market for an MPV. Have test-driven an SMax 1.8 tdci zetec and have been offered a decent trade-in on current car (Mondeo Estate). The SMax meets our needs and the zetec spec is quite nice. However, I've been reading some negative vibes on here and from reviews on whatcar.co.uk, so a bit hesitant to press ahead.

Any more opinions appreciated. Its a 2008 model (Feb I think).

Cheers ;-)

have you one of the newer Mondeos as they should be roughly the same if you've had any problems with that?

Take a look at my post re spare wheels versus ContiMobilityKits. At the time I don't think a spare wheel was available with the SMax (it may have changed). While some may consider this a very small issue it is one to think about if you're likely to be driving in remote areas.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=91957

Hi Crunchie

Yes that is the same with Smax and is a consideration.

We live in rural area and have had bad experience before with puncture in current car. The key for the wheel-nut lock mechanism was missing at the time, and the wife, 2 kids + dog were stranded until a kind local in a cattle truck brought them home (I was in Dublin at the time!).

igloo,

I have a Jan 2007 1.8 TDCI Zetec S-Max and have had some problems (all covered under warranty)
1. Rattle from handbrake lever
2. faulty washers on fuel injector leading to diesel oxidizing on engine block leading to smell of burnt oil entering cabin (apparently know issue)
3. Climate control stopped working. Leakage of fluid
4. Front wipers stopped working and alarm goes off for no reason (another know issue).

checkout http://www.smaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php. some of the above problems have been reported there.

Overall I am happy with the car - very comfortable and economical. Super flexiblity - mini van if needed, seats 7 if needed etc.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for you and that you had to excercise the warranty to the hilt! I have another test drive today and I can't help wondering why a Feb 08 car is back for sale in the garage - its not a demo model. Did the previous owner default on repayment, or had they too much hassle with it.. I'll endeavour to find out

Back