Forced into resigning due to inflexibility over childcare. Entitlements from welfare?

Muns11

I have been with my employer for nearly four years and have discovered over time just how unaccommodating they are. My husband has made all the changes thus far as his boss is very understanding. Since Covid and the return to childcare, our creche is operating on slightly reduced hours. They used to open until 6pm but with the return of schools they are closing at 5. 30 pm. I don't finish work until 5.30 so I asked my boss if I could forego my afternoon break and finish ten minutes early three days a week. I was refused straight out.
My mother has been collecting them for the last few weeks but she's 74 with diabetes and a heart condition so it's not feasible long term. My husband is from the UK so I've no other family here.
I feel I'm being forced to resign as I've no other choice. My children come first but I've no idea how we'll survive financially. Am I correct in presuming I won't qualify for any welfare payments if I leave of my own accord. Already spoken to Citizens Advice but I've no legal rights.
Any advice welcome.

I'm @Blackrock1 on this; don't ask permission, don't tell your life story.

Set out what you are going to do and confirm that you will meet all your deadlines / targets / projects (or however your work is measured)

In the event that you have to leave you should be entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit for up to 9 months. You would have to meet the requirements re PRSI contribution record (should not be a problem if working for 4 years). If you "leave work voluntarily without a good cause" you can be disqualified for the first 9 weeks of payment. However, if you show you have made every reasonable effort to sort out a solution with your employer I suspect this would not apply. You would be expected to be available for work and show that you are seeking alternative employment.

Is it your boss or is it your company? If it is just your boss go over his head, to HR or to the owner. Write down what you want, flexible working due to Covid restrictions in childcare.

Can you start earlier, take a shorter lunch break? Work later other days? Forgoing tea break does not sound like a good option to me as morning and afternoon tea breaks are normally just 10 mins and they are not listed in your contract as breaks from work. Your contract might say working from 9-1 and 1.30-5.30 to give a 40 hour work week. No mention of tea breaks. So something else should give. Tell them how long you plan to work different hours. If someone else in your company has flexible hours say you are being discriminated against because you are a parent. Write down what you want, point out if there is obvious unfairness, say you will be commencing these hours on x date. Ask for a reply in writing. And then just do it. Keep working, don’t leave. Keep the wages coming in. Look for alternate solutions. Could another parent collect them along with their kids. Could you pay a neighbour to do it. Several people in my company have had to change their working hours because the crèche changed. It is happening everywhere. Just don’t quit.

Definitely don't quit. The ball is in their court, keep professional. If worse happens you will have earned some extra pay and they leave themselves wide open for unfair dismissal.
Meanwhile look for another job if possible.

Don’t just do it anyway. Really try to work with your spouse / partner on alternative options and then put them to your boss.

Do not resign under any circumstances.

I am not a lawyer but I have seen enough over the years to think that what your employer is doing to you here is not acceptable, especially in the ‘new world’.

Without giving too much away, what kind of work is it?

If it was me, I would consult with an employment lawyer ASAP and follow his/her advice to the letter.

If you can’t afford a lawyer, and if it was me, I would start doing it anyway.

Not allowing someone to leave 10 minutes early; I’ve never heard the like of it.

Again, I’m not a lawyer, but can you imagine a judge’s reaction to this in the post-Covid world we all live in?

“Three days a week Ms X came into work 10 minutes early and then left 10 minutes early to collect her children from creche and you fired her?”

It’s completely ridiculous; I cannot see how the employer can have a leg to stand on.

But in any event, what a lowlife.

Job hunt, try and find a new role where your employer is far more flexible. Enjoy watching your old boss struggle to hire anyone in this Covid normality.

Job hunt, try and find a new role where your employer is far more flexible. Enjoy watching your old boss struggle to hire anyone in this Covid normality.

Agree 100% with this post. You don't have a long term future in this company if your boss is like this. They will end up causing you stress if they haven't already.

There are so many employers who realise that if they treat their employees well, they get more back. Treat your employees badly and you get the minimum in return.

Don't resign and put yourself under financial pressure over 10 minutes, 3 days a week. Work though all the possible solutions and don't be afraid to point out the unreasonableness to your boss.

I wouldn't be too quick to condemn this Boss.

Circumstances out side his control have changed. He didn't change them. The creche Did.

Its always the advice to run to the courts if The Boss, Company etc: dont change their plans to suit/fit in with the "worker" Give me a break.

If my Employee at the front desk had to leave 10/15 minutes early, it would make no difference coming in earlier or working through their break, Id still have to shut the office down when they left, of fill in myself.

So Id want to know more about the situation before sticking it to this Boss.

what more is there to know LS400. Person with childacre needs asks boss to leave few mins early, boss says no. terrible carry on by the bossman.

what more is there to know LS400. Person with childacre needs asks boss to leave few mins early, boss says no. terrible carry on by the bossman.
There may be others in the company who may need time off for childcare.

If it's a front facing role there may not be anyone to do it.

I would say everyone would happily give up afternoon tea break to leave early for no reduction in pay if offered.

I like more information before I recommend she takes the employer to the labour court.

Without knowing the effect on the company of ten minutes earlier it is hard to judge. But it sounds very unreasonable. What size company/org is it. Any hr policies for covid?

I wouldn't quit.

I would tell my boss that I will escalate the issue if they can't give the ok. Then I'd go to HR, their boss another boss in company etc

@becky
I could be wrong but i see those issues you pointed out as the employers problem not the employees. If employee needs ro leave 10 mins early each day for whatever reason then the employer simply should accomodate this. If it impacts thwir business in some way they need to find a solution, they cant be that dependant on 1 person, if they are then thats a big risk for them as a business

Back