Food to die for ?

I was the same as a child and right up to my mid 20's. I drank milk like we had a herd of cows in the garden. However, I was always sick with throat infections, had my tonsils out and this didnt help things. I heard one day that milk actually causes a mucus to build up in the throat, so I reduced my milk intake and hey presto, infections decreased significantly. Now I have read many scientific study that dismisses my theory, but I have also read more that say the opposite. Now I drink the amount of milk my body will tolerate, but I dont drink the gallons I used to. Read more here

Do you get the same reaction for chocolate as you would from drinking Milk ? And does Goats Milk cause the same reaction ?

Back on topic my bad foods would include :

Batch Bread with real butter (not so bad in moderation but I could eat a whole crusty loaf hmmmmmm)

Tayto and Tayto Sandwiches
King Crisps
Cadburys Chocolate , Dairymilk, Golden Crunch etc [The big bars]

A Big Old dirty greasy Fry Up of Sausages, pudding and bacon, fried bread etc etc [Possibly the unhealthiest on the list]

And endless quantities of coffee which I am trying to cut back on.

Thankfully most of the time I am making my meals from scratch with fresh ingredients. Theres nothing like fresh pizza made at home. Home made Chinese I am getting better at.

My favourite thing is home made white loaf toasted with butter and jam, It's more delicious than any cake.

Theres nothing like fresh pizza made at home.

God i love homemade pizza, i actually got the dough recipe from askaboutmoney and have made it loads since.
Aldi/lidl are great for getting nice pepperoni, salami, cheeses and olives mmmmmm

Because of this thread last night I got a chinese takeaway for the first time in months and months since reading the posts made me want a four-in-one and chicken balls, curry sauce........ It was gorgeous of course. I blame all those who posted about chinese specials / four in one trays....

Because of this thread last night I got a chinese takeaway for the first time in months and months since reading the posts made me want a four-in-one and chicken balls, curry sauce........ It was gorgeous of course. I blame all those who posted about chinese specials / four in one trays....

lol - I was the same with my special box and curry sauce last week!!!

It's interesting to note that the price of a Chicken Curry with Rice can vary from 5 euro to roughly 8 euro depending on where you go for it but I did'nt find it to be necessarily cheaper in low rent areas.

On my favorite ''bad'' foods I forgot to add: Chip sandwich with batch bread and real butter !!!!

A little of what ye fancy...;)

whats the recipe ? I sometimes do the lazy thing and ask my local bakery for fresh dough ;-)

I can't quite figure out how to quote the original post here so i've just copied and pasted and the author is ramble

1 1/2 lbs strong flour (plain will do but stong makes it springyer and rise better)
1 packet instant yeast
16 fl oz warm water
sploge of olive oil ( about 2 big spoons full)
Mix, knead for a while, leave to stand in bowl covered for an hour.

Makes 3 thick pizza bases, or more if you like it thin and crispy
Top and cook for about 10 mins at 240C

One important thing also is to put all your toppings except the cheese on, cook for about 7/8 minutes, then put the cheese on for the last 2/3 minutes. Your oven will be extremely hot so if you put the cheese on too early it will burn. Red pesto is also a nice substitute for the pizza sauce. Or if you're making sauce try passata (very cheap in lidl), and handful of basil and a couple of anchovies blended together, delish.

I can't quite figure out how to quote the original post here so i've just copied and pasted and the author is ramble

1 1/2 lbs strong flour (plain will do but stong makes it springyer and rise better)
1 packet instant yeast
16 fl oz warm water
sploge of olive oil ( about 2 big spoons full)
Mix, knead for a while, leave to stand in bowl covered for an hour.

Makes 3 thick pizza bases, or more if you like it thin and crispy
Top and cook for about 10 mins at 240C

One important thing also is to put all your toppings except the cheese on, cook for about 7/8 minutes, then put the cheese on for the last 2/3 minutes. Your oven will be extremely hot so if you put the cheese on too early it will burn. Red pesto is also a nice substitute for the pizza sauce. Or if you're making sauce try passata (very cheap in lidl), and handful of basil and a couple of anchovies blended together, delish.
Thanks - do you freeze the other bases, or put the toppings on and then freeze them?

I'd tend to halve the recipe and make two individual pizzas for myself and hubbie.
I'd say the best way to freeze it would be in individual balls and then roll out when defrosted.

Excuse my ignorance but what is 'strong flour'?

Strong flour is a typical bread flour and is made from hard wheat. It means you get a greater texture and volume.

If you can get it, use Tipo '00' pizza flour for making pizza dough. This is the genuine Italian pizza flour.

Thanks RonanC.

Ciarella - when you say 1 packet instant yeast - what weight is that (or what brand are you using?)

truthseeker i used the packets of dried yeast from tesco, most of the time i'd use a half packet per batch.
I must admit i'm a bit of 'pinch here, handful there' type of cook and wouldn't measure everything exactly.
I've found trial and error the best way for making the dough, i would knead it for quite a while to get as much air out as possible, the more air, the puffier the dough is and it rises up more when baked, it does still taste gorgeous though!

Back