Fog Lights

C

chaplin

Why do drivers go around with their fog lights (Front or rear) on all the time?
They cause glare for cars coming toward them and give headaches to cars behind them. If you want to be seen then turn on your head lights. They are called fog lights for a reason, you turn them on when it's FOGGY!!
Some people refer to them as "spot lights". They are not for illuminating flying objects, so they are not fog lights. If anyone is in any doubt about this consult your owners manual.

Rant over, have a nice evening....

Because they can.
Bcause they're ignorant b******ds.

BTW, it's illegal.

Sluice

and

And bullbars? Don't they come in handy when on safari in places like Fota.

Don't the front "fogs" merely light the ground immediately in front of the car. The whole point is that, in fog, the normal lights become ineffective and the full headlights are even worse.

The front fogs are bright, but they're dipped downwards and shouldn't, therefore, bother oncoming drivers unduly.

Agree however with the problem of the rear fogs which seem to pierce the senses. Some people tend to turn them on at the merest hint of fog and forget about them subsequently.

Re fog lights

Spacer;
The front fogs are bright, but they're dipped downwards and shouldn't, therefore, bother oncoming drivers unduly.
They do bug the s**t out of me, someone drives up behind me with lights that glare anytime I look in my rear view mirror.
Why do they keep them on?
Do they think it's cool?
Why don't they get stickers for their windows saying,"I'm a boy/girl racer" and save the battery?
And please don't anyone tell me it helps their view of the road when it's not foggy. It doesn't.
And why oh why do some drivers (OK, micra drivers) go around at night with only their fog lights on? Is it because there is some recessive gene trying to kill them for the sake of the species?

As you may have noticed this is also one of my many pet hates. I'm a cranky fecker.

Re: Re fog lights

Will these annoying people get penalty points for having fog lights on?
Will the gardai stop them.
I've never heard of a garda stopping someone for this behaviour or similar ones.
I get particularly annonyed by large 4*4 with fog lights on. They seem to think they are headlights. They are not. Are you out there? Stop doing it!
Just like everything else, no enforcement.

Rant over. thankyou

For lights etc

If someone in front of me has left their rear fog lamps on when there is no fog I automatically turn on my full beam and let them see how they like it. Most are so dopey I don't think they even notice.

Another pet hate is someone who is joining a motorway and they don't use the slip road down to the motorway to get up to an appropriate speed so that they can easily merge with the traffic on the motorway. They pull out at 50 mph and try and merge with traffic that can be travelling at 70 mph. I presume they give out about people going too fast. The fact that they dont't know how to drive is their problem but it affects me if I'm behind them

Foglights-serving a purpose

Okay I agree rear foglights being on is mega annoying and dangerous but front foglights should be on all the time. Whats the problem? they are blinding you? get a grip! Eircom following on from most of the big european companies have a policy of their vehicles having front fogs on at all times as it has proved unbeliveably successful in reducing accidents ie old grannies,boy racers pulling out from junctions etc. When you see a car coming with lights on it takes a couple more seconds to ascertain speed and the natural reaction then is to wait and not make that risky move being contemplated. Hence a safer driving enviornment.All Volvos/SAABS ( the safest cars ) have them factory made to have front fogs on at all times.. I rest my case. TURN ON YOUR FRONT FOGS BUT LEAVE THE REAR ONES OFF!

Re: Foglights-serving a purpose

I agree with O2, the reason i put on my front fogs and parking lights on (not all the time) is road safety, front fogs don't blind people, its the rear ones that are annoying!

Re. Foglights-serving a purpose

All Volvo's/SAAB's ( the safest cars ) have them factory made to have front fogs on at all times.. I rest my case.
I have a policy of now being offensive on AAM (as opposed to real life where I'm an ignoramus) so i won't call you an idiot for that comment 02dublinwrx.
Volvo etc have their front headlights turned on because it is the law in Sweden and good practice on the road. Your dipped head lights should be left on all the time, not your fog lights. They are for use in conditions of fog (and falling snow). That's why they are called fog lights. Do you get the connection?
Eircom following on from most of the big European companies have a policy of their vehicles having front fogs on at all times as it has proved unbelievably successful in reducing accidents
Can you back that up? Or do they have a policy of having their dipped headlights on?
peterconn
front fogs don't blind people
I am "people", the other posters on this thread are "people". It bugs the c**p out of lots of us. Please stop. Turn on your dipped headlights.
Murt10
Most are so dopey I don't think they even notice.
And even if they did they are too stupid to know what you are doing it for!

Foglights-serving a purpose

Foglights, 4x4s, Bigger 4x4s. Even bigger 4x4s. Is it really anything more than a peacock proudly showing its feathers?

fog-etters

I think a lot of people knock the switch on accidentally &/or just forget they are on. The fog lamp switch in my cars was always somewhere funny, you had to go looking for it.

rear fogs in rain

When driving on any road in heavy rain, to make sure my car is visible through the spray to those behind me, I'll switch on my rear fog light. No apology. Safety is the issue, visibility is the purpose.

Is it really fog light?

I have noticed most of new vehicels these have option to adjust the angle of front head light.

This is a good function if you are driving in the country and the city. When driving in the country you could changle the angle up so that you can see further but when driving in the city you should change so that you would not blind incoming traffic.

I would think most of people does not even know their car has this function.

Re: Is it really fog light?

Have you ever driven at night on a back road when all of a sudden what looks like a space ship arrives behind you with all those lights beaming behind you. Scares the s**t out of me. Almost as much as the one headlight working in the car. One reason I won't move to country.

Adjusting lights

---
I would think most of people does not even know their car has this function.
---
It would seem that some who do know of this funtion don't know what it's for ....

The function to tilt headlights up/down is NOT so you can turn them into spotlights when driving in the countryside blinding every on coming can.

It's so you can adjust what were presumably correctly set headlights if you are towing a carvan/trailer or have a heavy load pushing down the rear of the car (thus tilting up the front lights)

Re: Adjusting lights

I have a policy of now being offensive on AAM (as opposed to real life where I'm an ignoramus)

Hi Purple...did you mean for that "now" to be "not" by any chance? or do we need a policy change here?

Re: Is it really fog light?

Scares the s**t out of me. Almost as much as the one headlight working in the car. One reason I won't move to country.

Arrrr us country folk, we be waitin for ya, theres many of you folk come out here an not returned!

Re.

Natchessmen;
Yes it should read "not". Amongst my other failings I can't spell.
Alpha;
You are of course right. If only people would read their owners manual, it's all in there.

Further to previous comments - I find that the front fog lights do give that extra illumination at night on country roads and main roads where the council couldn't be bothered to fit cat eyes. The fogs spread out on the ground in front of the car and make the verge more visible. I can't see how they dazzle you? I'd say you are probably more affected by badly adjusted dipped headlights, I have never had a problem with front fog lights blinding me.

There are more serious problems on our roads than people driving with front fog lights on!

Back