Flying to Oz - recommend a place to break flight?

Don_08

Heading to Australia with a 2 year old next March - want to break the flight for a few days. Last time I flew I just got off the plane at Bangkok while it refueled and back on again.

Seems to be a few options.

Any recommendations? ( bearing in mind time of year and 2 year old!)

We stopped in Singapore on the way to Oz three years ago. We arrived late at night and just had 1 full day to wander around. It was mid April and the weather was hot. It was a nice city to break up the journey. We don't have any children so I can't help you there. You might be able to use Google to get a bit more info.

Kuala Lumpur is an option. The reason I say so is because the express train runs from the airport to the central train station. Directly outside the train station you have the Hilton Hotel which means no taxi's, stress, or issues getting too and from the airport. Also with a 2yr old last thing you need is to be dragging luggage around. If you fly with Malaysia airlines you check in your luggage at the train station before you get to the airport! The airport is the easiest airport I have ever gone through for international flights. Also found it very easy to get around Kuala Lumpur because Taxi's are really really cheap. It is hot though!

Abu Dhabi, with Etihad Airways. This way there is only one stop - Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Sydney. There is plenty to see in the area and it is only an hours drive from Dubai, you can also opt for a 3 hour (approx) stopover. Enjoy your trip!

Just back from OZ flew with an 17mth old and 6 year old. Went with Malaysian airlines- very good except basonette too small- think same on each airline. Nightmare flying with child that will not sit still and wants to wander around when everyone else is sleeping- I am sure yours is better behaved.
Stopped in Singapore way out 2 days, nice place, safe, airport only 25 mins from centre- taxis cheap, clarke quay was great place to stay- expensive enough there.
Stayed in KL on way back - airport an hour from city haggle for everything, shopping was good esp in chinatown, good hotel was cheap just booked it a couple a of weeks before hand to get better rate €50 a night including breakfast. Traffic is mad there!
Both are very hot and humid, more life to KL then Singapore - I prefer KL, missus prefers Singapore so not sure if helps- prob easier to get around Singapore with a child.

I'd vote for Singapore every time, especially if you want to spend a few days.

My abiding memory of Singapore is when MrsK bought some chestnuts from a street vendor and just wandered off talking to one of out travelling companions, only for the man to chase after her because she had forgotten her change!

Back