Flying to NZ and want to break the journey, how to book flights?

Marianne S

I hope the title is clear enough, I'm looking at flights at the moment to Auckland, flying with Malaysia Airlines is coming in cheapest with a stopover in Kuala Lumpar. We'd like to stay the night in Kuala Lumpar rather than stopover for 3hrs and get on another long flight. I've been looking at skyscanner, expedia, ebookers etc but can't find an option where we can stay a night on the way. Are we just going to have to book the sections seperately ie DUB-KUL, KUL-AKL and then book the return journey?

Just looked at the cheapest option and would cost €2000 to do this compared with €1075 to book DUB-AKL return in one go. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is? The flights are practically identical just booking them separately

Have you tried booking with a travel agent. They are often better at this type of thing where an overnight stopover is required. I have used Club Travel and find them to be very efficient and competitive pricewise to booking directly. www.clubtravel.ie No connection to them just a satisfied customer.

Malaysia don't allow you book stopovers on their website. Singapore make it easy and are quite good value.

Have you tried Etihad? My wife went to Auckland with them via Abu Dhabi and Sydney earlier this year. They seem to allow a stopover option, but I didn't check to see what impact it has on fares.

Regards
Homer

Try singapore or thai and choose Multi stop trip.
Add in any legs and stop overs you want ...

If you choose on stop over each way, generally its around the same as a return trip..

Thanks fo the replies, the reason I was looking at Malaysia airlines was that they were coming in cheapest for the simple return journey by about €200/€300, I'll look into the other airlines and I might ring a few travel agents too.

We flew with Malaysian Airways via KL to Auckland in January. Flew direct on the way out with 3 hour stopover (wasn't half as bad as we expected) and then stopped off on the way back. It worked out cheaper than any other airline. We booked with Trailfinders.

Hi guys, we went to trailfinders today and booked with cathay pacific stopping in hong kong for 2 nights on the way over, flying back with "normal" stopovers. They had some very good value flights and we were very impressed with the agent's knowledge and at how efficient he was. It took him 10mins to find flights that suited us. Just by the way, they are discouraging people from going into the retail unit on Dawson street at the moment because most of the agents are busy with people who are stranded abroad or have holidays booked and are supposed to be travelling soon.

I have flown a couple of times with Malaysian airlines and have always been able to stop in kL plus once they included a free internal flight to Singapore. Always did this through trailfinders.

Back