Flying to Italy via London

I recently did Dublin to Marreckech via Madrid to reduce the costs. The London oprtions were Ryanair and/or Easyjet too. The outward journey had me doing a lay-over in MAD for 6 hours and the RTN journey left me with around 2 hours to catch the connecting flight. Never again. Waaaaay too stressful, altho I made the connections. I had booked checked-in luggage but decided not to use it on RTN leg as I didn't know if I'd make it. The last day or so of the holiday was given over to wondering what would happen if I missed the connection. I would check Kayak/Expedia to look at alternatives. The person I was meeting in MAR flew in from Oslo on Norwegian. As it happens, it would probably have worked out better for me to fly to Oslo and then connect to Marreckech. Check out Norwegian as they seem to offer good connections.

On our return flight we have elected to overnight in the UK as the timeframe of two hours was too tight in my opinion. Eliminates the stress completely coming home!!

Lots of good tips, much appreciated.

While you're there :) ... Anybody got any recommendations for family accommodation in Venice, for one or two nights, with no car?

Should we really try to get somewhere in the historic city part (the "island") ... or would you get by staying over on the "mainland"?

Thanks again.

I love airbnb. I've done it in Bordeaux, Marrakech, in South Africa. You get a great experience as you are usually living amongst locals. I haven't done it in Venice, but doubtless the place is chocka with airbnb spots.

We were in Venice last year (2 adults, 2 children) and we stayed on the Lido in this place: http://www.levilledellido.com/en
Highly recommended - we had a 2 bed apartment which was great. The public beach was a 5 minute walk away and the vaporetto to go over to Venice proper was a 10 minute walk. You have to factor in the extra cost, ie the vaporetto, which was something like €7 per trip or €15 for a day pass. There is also a direct ferry from the airport to the Lido.

Back