Flying Dublin to Hong Kong. Which airline.

Grizzly

I have been looking at various airlines that fly Dublin to Hong Kong with one stop en route. I have been reading various reviews also.
I would be flying business class as a treat, return. I have noticed with Etihad and Emirates that they use different aircraft for different legs of the trip. Some aircraft are getting better reviews on sites such as Seat Guru. Some airlines are also getting better reviews than other airlines. Also the prices return can range from €4k to €6k for two people.

Would it be better to fly via London then non stop to Hong Kong on the same aircraft?

Can anyone recommend a good airline and route that I can take?

I’ve gone via Dubai and would recommend it.

777 out of Dublin which isn’t quite a flat-bed, but which is still very good.

Circa 90 min connection time through Dubai which is perfect and then A380 to Hong Kong. Fully flat bed plus the bar at the back of the plane which is great craic.

The late flight out of Dublin is great too; the airport is like a ghost town and sleeping on the flight is easy enough.

But Hong Kong is very accessible; I’d be very conscious of price as Singapore/BA/Cathay/Etihad/Qatar are all good in my view.

Thanks Gordon. The 777 out of Dublin to Dubai with Emirates Business looks as if the cabin has a 2-3-2 seat configuration. It looks a little cramped compared to the next leg, Dubai to Hong Kong.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/Emirates_Airlines_Boeing_777-300_ER_2class.php

The leg from Dubai to Hong Kong on the Airbus 380 appears to have a 1-2-1 seat configuration. Looks great.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/Emirates_Airlines_Airbus_A380.php

Our flights if booked before the 21st January will cost €4,900. You mentioned the late flight out of Dublin. This takes 16 hours. It arrives late in to Hong Kong at 21.20.
There is another flight that leaves Dublin at 13.50 and arrives in Hong Kong at 14.40 +1 but takes 18 hours. Is it worth it to take the longer flight so that you arrive in Hong Kong in the early afternoon.

The reviews for Emirates are more positive than negative on the various forums.

I preferred being able to work a full day on the departure date, a shorter journey-time, and arriving in HK near enough to bedtime.

The 777 / A380 differential exists, but it is overstated. Both are excellent.

For your A380 leg, go for an A or a K seat (slightly more legroom and stepped in from the aisle with a console between you and the aisle). This can be an issue for couples, but generally it means that the woman takes the one across from A/K as the shorter seat tends to be less of an issue.

Avoid the smaller cabin towards the rear of the plane. The much vaunted 23A/K is actually shorter and noise from the bar is a factor.

For your 777 leg, just nab a window seat and put your screen up.

Cathay is starting a direct DUB-HKG on June 8th. Four times a week on the beautiful A350 and it is pricing around $3,900 / €3,200. This would be by far the most comfortable way to get there if the dates work.

Qatar/Etihad/Emirates all offer solid business class products. BA's product is quite dated in comparison but usually costs less.

It also pays to be creative. Certain city pairs can cost a lot less than others; check prices from OSL, ARN (Stockholm) or HEL to HKG on Qatar or SAS. You can get sub-€2k fares from these cities and it could be worthwhile to position there first. You might be able to do it on the same itinerary from DUB, otherwise position yourself there the night before with a cheapo LCC ticket.

Here's ARN-DOH-HKG return trip on Qatar for $2,076 (about €1,700) on a random date in April:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sea...2018-04-16;sel=ARNDOH0QR172-DOHHKG1QR816;sc=b
Qatar's 787 product is one of the best there is.

SAS has some great fares. Here's one for $2,168 / €1,750 DUB-ARN-HKG on the A330 in April.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sea...-ARNHKG0SK963,HKGARN0SK964-ARNDUB0SK2565;sc=b
SAS is operating newly refurbished A330s with a 1-2-1 configuration on this route and it looks quite decent. This might be your best bet.

Thanks two scoops. Unfortunately our flights are c 24th April and returning c 7th May. I had a look at the SAS. The prices were good but the flights involved about a 5 hour stop in Copenhagen on the way out and a similar stop in Beijing before flying on to Hong Kong.

I would be interested in observations on flying Dublin to Helsinki with Finnair and on to Hong Kong on an Airbus 350.

Thanks two scoops. You have been a great help. The SAS option looks good for the outward journey. It means leaving two days earlier but there is a saving on the cost of the flights that will cover our Hong Kong hotel costs. It could work.

My concern is the return journey. I see that the flight leaves Hong Kong at 9.20 a.m. and we would prefer to leave Hong Kong on the 7th or 8th rather than the 6th in the late afternoon or evening. We would like to sleep on the plane.

Back