Flooring in kids bedrooms

M

marybb

I'm looking for suggestions for kids bedrooms floor. We have carpet which I hate because of the dirt and dust, spills, etc. Previously had laminate, which swelled up because badly laid (by DH), so I think that's off the agenda. There are nice old floorboards underneath, but they have been chopped when central heating was installed years ago, huge holes in some places. So thinking a) get someone to fill holes, sand and maybe paint the floorboards versus b) something like marmoleum which would be easy to clean and maybe quieter than floorboards?

I got pre-existing floorboards professionally sanded and varnished some years ago. It's a reasonably good finish but there was a strong smell in the house room for days (we got the entire downstairs done). We stayed with friends the night it was done. Didn't have any children at the time but can't imagine how we would have fared if we had.

More recently, we got some upstairs rooms covered with semi-solid flooring. Compared with the pre-existing floorboards, it's much softer underfoot and much less noisy.

Given the choice again, I'd go for the professionally fitted flooring. It's less hassle to install and produces a better finish. I can personally receommend Mulveys in the old Dundrum shopping centre (no connection other than satisfied customer).

If you still have small children who are prone to accidents/throwing up/spilling orange juice and drawing on things with crayon I would strongly recommend the lino option.

It's cheap, easily fitted and easily cleaned.

You can happily chuck it when it has served it's time and put down better quality flooring when they have grown up past the accidents/throwing up/spilling orange juice phase.

I had lino (one of road design with lovely palm trees that cost a fortune) in the playroom, have to say always found it cold. very clean, holds the spills till wiped up etc.

we left our lino down which was covered over for extra insulation/padding underneath as recommened by fitter.

Thanks for replies - after latest round of vomiting bug, I'm more determined than ever to get rid of the carpet!

Back