Floodproofing

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Messages
58,298
I live in Sandymount and although the houses on my road haven't been flooded, I would like to take precautions just in case.

This is the lowest point, a vent for the floorboards at the front of the house.

1763490847781.webp


Obviously, I don't want to block it permanently but if we have a flood warning, how might I go about blocking it.

I was thinking of buying a few of these:


1763491062076.webp
 
A few sandbags placed tightly against the vent might be better.
Those cubes need to be submerged in water to bulk them up.
So you need the beginnings of a flood to use them and when they gain weight you need to push them tightly against the vent.

You could pack the sandbags tightly before any flood occurs.
 
I don’t think sandbags would be ideal. Even a small amount of water under the floorboards would be a real mess. I think you need someone who is good with arts and crafts to make something to measure. Perhaps with modelling clay and sealant.
 
Thanks @S class lass

I thought that the Ecospill yokes would mould snugly into the vent and effectively seal it whereas sandbags would have gaps no matter how tightly they were stuffed.
 
I think you need someone who is good with arts and crafts to make something to measure. Perhaps with modelling clay and sealant.

Or I might get something like this to temporarily seal it and held in place by sandbags.

 
Would it make any sense to install some sort of snorkel like permanent structure to raise the potential point of water ingress? Something that would blend into the wall
 
I like the above idea, seal it up and put in a pipe from it that vents somewhere up higher, few feet, good idea if you can do it in a pretty way considering it's the front of the house. Big plant pot in front of it maybe?
 
That might be an option but would probably need a builder/professional.
 
It's quite a low possibility event so I don't want to be doing major building work. I am looking for a temporary solution for when heavy rain is warned.
 
I would be more worried about the 'sea wall' being breached.

You are correct.
The biggest risk is from the sea.
Next is the Dodder overflowing but that risk has been reduced by the works recently
And then heavy rain.

But it's when the heavy rain hits a high tide that the Dodder might overflow
 
The airbrick sounds great. I will talk to a builder about what is involved in installing it. Not much I imagine.

I might still be nervous as you can't really test it. You install it and hope it works when it's called up in 10 years.

Brendan
 
Back
Top