Flood Insurance Query

Sarenco

My PPR is within 200m of a river that has flooded in the past. However, the OPW has spent millions on flood defence works over the last decade and these completed works now afford protection to the national standard of a combined 1:200 year coastal and fluvial event for inter-tidal areas, and makes allowance for global warming to the year 2100.

Notwithstanding these works, so far I have found it impossible to get any Irish insurer to quote for flood cover. I did manage to get cover from a UK underwriter but it costs a small fortune.

Has anybody had any joy with Irish insurers in similar circumstances?

Well, if it only a 1 in 200 year chance - why bother?
While there may only be a 0.5% chance of a flood occurring in any given year, the impact of that improbable event occurring would be fairly devastating to my finances. Hence the insurance!

You could have a good argument with an insurer on a large commercial property policy. But with residential property it will just be down to the flood mapping software and it says no, it says no.

Sarenco, I feel you're pain. Similar situation to you except while I'm within the 100/200 metres that insurance companies ask about I'm also well above the water level of the river, even in a flood situation which they don't ask about.

The river has flooded in the past (3 times) but extensive flood relief work has been done. What really frustrates me is that even with 3 flood events my home has never been flooded in its over 100 year of existence. But PeteB is right, if the flood mapping software says no then no it is.

My only glimmer over the last few years is that my current insurance company (through the AA) continues to cover me, with a heavy flood excess in the last few years - had some row over that, only agreeing with it in the end because my argument that the house is unlikely to flood negates worrying about any excess. I do try shopping around but never with any success. I'm dreading the day that the AA refuse to renew - they'll have some fight on their hands at that point.

Thanks folks.

What I find particularly frustrating is the OPW entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with Insurance Ireland back in 2014, where the OPW agreed to provide all information on flood defence schemes to the insurance industry. The insurers, in turn, undertook to take full account of the information provided by the OPW when assessing exposure to flood risk.

That's clearly not happening. :mad:

Back