Flogas direct debit unpaid charge

geriatric

Hi all

I recently had a first time experience of a direct debit not paid to flogas due to insufficient funds. Kbc charged me €10 for this which was not unexpected. However flogas have also charged me €10 plus vat which I'm not sure about.

I contacted kbc who informed me that they don't charge flogas any fee when there's an unpaid DD. But when talking to flogas they said that they do and that's why they have to pass this onto the customer (plus vat!).

I paid the bill amount but refused to pay the flogas charge.

Anyone else had this experience, is this correct?

Thanks

It's fairly standard for charges like this to be applied by all utility providers. 10 euro is on bottom end of scale.

Firstly, Flogas will have been charged for the returned item, by their bank not KBC. This will be a much smaller charge though, around 3 euro for a regular business customer so they will have negotiated a rate.

However the extra charge is to reflect extra costs they have in collecting DD again, but more importantly to act as a deterrent for missing payments.

You could ask for it to be reversed. They might have some flexibility especially if first time. However, it's in your terms and conditions.

I was recently charged €18.45 by Eir for an unpaid direct debit.

In my case I had changed bank, the old bank cancelled the D/D as they were supposed to do and the new bank notified Eir of my new bank details.

Before the direct debit was due I checked on line and could see my new bank details were on my Eir account, so could see no problem.

Eir have since informed me that although the new details are on my Eir account they don’t use them until I personally authorise it.

Eir have my phone number and email and are aware of their own rules, rather than contact me for approval they apply this charge.

Seems unreasonable to me.

I have lodged a complaint and await their response.

Eir have my phone number and email and are aware of their own rules, rather than contact me for approval they apply this charge.

Seems unreasonable to me.

You are one of thousands of customs who’s bills are processed electronically because it is the cheapest way to do so. So how much extra are you willing to pay for such a nanny service.

I recently had a first time experience of a direct debit not paid to flogas due to insufficient funds. Kbc charged me €10 for this which was not unexpected. However flogas have also charged me €10 plus vat which I'm not sure about.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you pay your bills on time. There is no reason why the company should have to carry the cost (bank charges, extra admin costs or whatever) just because you failed to pay up. The fee charged does not have to have any thing to do with whether KBC charges them a fee or not.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you pay your bills on time. There is no reason why the company should have to carry the cost (bank charges, extra admin costs or whatever) just because you failed to pay up. The fee charged does not have to have any thing to do with whether KBC charges them a fee or not.

I know my responsibilities.

I had conflicting responses from KBC and Flogas so just needed to check whether or not I was been ripped off. I'm ok to pay the charge to Flogas now.

Thanks for all your replies.

You are one of thousands of customs who’s bills are processed electronically because it is the cheapest way to do so. So how much extra are you willing to pay for such a nanny service.

Eir have now apologised for the inconvenience caused.

The €18.45 charge that was applied has been waived and will be reflected in my next bill.

There was no need to pay any extra for this satisfactory result to a reasonable complaint.

Back