Flipping Houses - What's The Best Structure?

Always Learning

Hi All,

Myself and a friend are going to get into buying, renovating and selling on houses. I'll give a summary of the situation.

- We identify a property and purchase it. The first one will be 120 - 125K
- I will fund the purchase
- My friend will renovate and arrange grants
- We sell the property, aiming for 175 - 180K on this one.
- We divide the profits according to a pre-agreed split

My question is, what's the best way to do this? Just buy it in my name and pay my friend from the profits? Setup a Ltd. company / partnership etc.? At the moment, I'm only concerned with getting advice on doing it in the most tax efficient manner and how to extract the most money from the situation. I realise there are other considerations (insurance liability for example), however, for the sake of this query I'm only looking for advice on the best structure to maximise profit and enable me to share the profit with my partner.

Any advice in very much appreciated.

Regards,
AL

Setup a Ltd. company / partnership etc.?
Maybe the situation is different when flipping properties after upgrading them as opposed to holding and renting them, but these threads may be worth checking?

It seems a lot simpler to do it in your name or your joint names instead of through a limited company.

You would need some form of partnership agreement with your partner.

I doubt that the venture will last beyond the first property and so you will then be stuck with a limited company with unused losses or with profits which you will have to distribute tax efficiently. Then you will have to wind up the company.

So I would say try it as a sole trader or partnership first. If it turns out profitable and you want to engage in larger scale property development, then you might consider setting up a company. I doubt it will ever be the right idea.

Brendan

It seems a lot simpler to do it in your name or your joint names instead of through a limited company.
Hardly. Property development is a high-risk venture at the best of times, let alone amid runaway cost inflation and talk of possible recession.

Limited liability is king,

Maybe the situation is different when flipping properties after upgrading them as opposed to holding and renting them, but these threads may be worth checking?
Thanks Clubman, however, I believe this would be treated differently to buying a property and renting it out. I understand that has been well covered here and the answer would seem, in that case, always do it in your own name. However, renovating / refurbishing and selling on would be treated differently to rental income, at least I think it would? If that is the case then I'm wondering what is the best way to structure it.
Get trades lined up as certain things need registered trades people.
That's not a problem, my partner / friend in this scenario is the MD or a decent size building company.

I should add that my partner in this venture owns a building company and I am the director of a company that's not trading, but could be used for this venture if it made sense.

We identify a property and purchase it. The first one will be 120 - 125K
- I will fund the purchase
- My friend will renovate and arrange grants
- We sell the property, aiming for 175 - 180K on this one.
- We divide the profits according to a pre-agreed split

I'm not even sure the business model makes sense. I'm assuming your friend can add value via a labour:materials split of 2:1

Acquisition€120k
Materials€20k
Sale€180k
Capital gain€60k
CGT@33%€20k

So you add value of €60k but €20k of that is materials and another €20k is CGT. I've assumed away EA, legal, stamp, duty, etc but also personal exemption for simplicity.

Bottom line you add €40k of value but lose half of it in tax. That's the same as being an employee but with far less risk:)

Hardly. Property development is a high-risk venture at the best of times, let alone amid runaway cost inflation and talk of possible recession.

Limited liability is king,

Hi McGibney,
For this venture, at least for the first, I don't think it will be a very high risk venture. The first one we have identified will be a cash purchase, it's well below the market value of a nice place in the area. My partner has spent his entire career in construction and has costed the job. I'm not too worried on that front, if it were an absolute disaster then we would break even in the worst case scenario. So for the purpose of this exercise, just assume I'm safe on that front. I'm interested purely from the point of view of taxes / distributing profits, what is the smartest way to set this up to get the best monetary gain.

I'm not even sure the business model makes sense. I'm assuming your friend can add value via a labour:materials split of 2:1

Acquisition€120k
Materials€20k
Sale€180k
Capital gain€60k
CGT@33%€20k

So you add value of €60k but €20k of that is materials and another €20k is CGT. I've assumed away EA, legal, stamp, duty, etc but also personal exemption for simplicity.

Bottom line you add €40k of value but lose half of it in tax. That's the same as being an employee but with far less risk:)
Hi Coyote,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It makes sense financially. The renovation will be almost entirely covered by grants, there is a grant of between 30-50K available.

There is a nice profit to be made on it for a couple of weeks work. The advice I'd like here is about what way to structure it to get the most back out.

So for the purpose of this exercise, just assume I'm safe on that front. I'm interested purely from the point of view of taxes / distributing profits
It would help if you told us a bit more. Who will do the work? Your partner and/or workers from his firm?

I don't think it will be a very high risk venture.
House prices in Ireland are volatile. Over the course of a year the typical swings in the market could add or subtract €20k from your expected sale price. Add to this potential for construction inflation, one of you falling ill, the two of you falling out, cost overruns due to an unanticipated problem in the house, etc.

For most people this is indeed "high risk".

Hi McGibney,
For this venture, at least for the first, I don't think it will be a very high risk venture. The first one we have identified will be a cash purchase, it's well below the market value of a nice place in the area. My partner has spent his entire career in construction and has costed the job. I'm not too worried on that front, if it were an absolute disaster then we would break even in the worst case scenario. So for the purpose of this exercise, just assume I'm safe on that front. I'm interested purely from the point of view of taxes / distributing profits, what is the smartest way to set this up to get the best monetary gain.
Hi,

My comments are meant generally. Everyone who goes into property development expects their project to be low risk. It's still inherently risky.

I expect you'll have to pay good money for proper tax planning and tax risk management strategies.

Not a hope in hell of CGT applying to this. It's clearly a trade so it will be income tax or corporation tax.
RCT compliance could be the biggest tax headache.

It would help if you told us a bit more. Who will do the work? Your partner and/or workers from his firm?
The workers from his firm. Or at least that's what we had envisaged unless there is a reason that won't work? We can be flexible on that front.

House prices in Ireland are volatile. Over the course of a year the typical swings in the market could add or subtract €20k from your expected sale price. Add to this potential for construction inflation, one of you falling ill, the two of you falling out, cost overruns due to an unanticipated problem in the house, etc.

I don't think the housing market is going to drop much in the next year and the construction costs are covered by my partner. Perhaps other's would consider it risky, perhaps not, but for the sake of what I'm trying to get to here, let's just assume the risks are acceptable to me. It's the structure I'm not sure about.

I expect you'll have to pay good money for proper tax planning and tax risk management strategies.
I do have a tax consultant that I use for other issues. I'm meeting with him next week on some other matters and I've highlighted this new venture to him in advance so that I can get advice off him at that meeting also. However, I like to get several opinions on things hence the post here, it also helps to have some idea of the potential pros and cons of the ideas my tax guy will probably put forward ahead of time also. Having a basic idea beforehand will allow a more in depth discussion at the time

W
I do have a tax consultant that I use for other issues. I'm meeting with him next week on some other matters and I've highlighted this new venture to him in advance so that I can get advice off him at that meeting also. However, I like to get several opinions on things hence the post here, it also helps to have some idea of the potential pros and cons of the ideas my tax guy will probably put forward ahead of time also. Having a basic idea beforehand will allow a more in depth discussion at the time
It's impossible to give proper advice here as we haven't the first clue of your circumstances, nor of your level of experience in construction and business generally.

It's impossible to give proper advice here as we haven't the first clue of your circumstances, nor of your level of experience in construction and business generally.
If you can't advise that's fine, thanks for the responses nonetheless. However, I would have thought that the correct structure is the correct structure. No matter what my background, surely if it is better from a tax perspective to do this as a sole trader for example, then that is the correct way to do it and whether I'm Richard Branson or Joe Soap wouldn't affect what is the right approach?

For what it's worth, I ran a business for ten years (got out last year), completely different industry though. No experience in construction, but my partner runs a construction company so he has plenty experience on that front. I would view this as a test run with a view to increasing the scale down the line if things go well between us.

As you say though, if it's not something that can be easily advised on an internet board that's fine. As I said, I'm going to get advice from a tax consultant also.

As you say though, if it's not something that can be easily advised on an internet board that's fine.
It's not.

No matter what my background, surely if it is better from a tax perspective to do this as a sole trader for example, then that is the correct way to do it

As there are 2 partners, I'm at a loss on how a sole trader structure would work.
and whether I'm Richard Branson or Joe Soap wouldn't affect what is the right approach?
To be frank, of course it would affect the approach. Branson for example won't have to withdraw funds from the enterprise to pay his own bills whereas Mr Soap might.

Back