Flights to Australia

nightpark

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in flying with Cathay Pacific to Australia. They seem to have decent prices but I'm not that keen if the service etc is not great.

Thanks

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in flying with Cathay Pacific to Australia. They seem to have decent prices but I'm not that keen if the service etc is not great.

Thanks

Don't worry. I found them to be one of the best. But like anything I am sure you will find someone who will disagree!

Cathay are definitely a very decent airline and HK is a good place to connect through ... and well worth stopping over to break the journey as well.

Did you try Etihad? they fly direct to Oman from Dublin and then on to Sydney so you avoid the Heathrow stopover, we got a great deal and are flying with them in December.

I have flown that route several times and found Cathay to be way ahead of Quantas and BA.

Eimear25, we're looking into flights to Australia and I was looking on the Etihad site - flights work out around Eur3200 return between the two of us. Is this about what you paid for yours? Where did you get the good deal from?

thanks

M

Eimear25, we're looking into flights to Australia and I was looking on the Etihad site - flights work out around Eur3200 return between the two of us. Is this about what you paid for yours? Where did you get the good deal from?

thanks

M

Hi,

Eventhough the question was not directed at me, I flew to Sydney in december with Etihad. My partner and I paid about €2800 between the two of us and this included taxes, charges, surcharges and a hotel in Abu Dhabi (overnigh stop over). I booked our flights through Trailfinders who were able to get us a better deal than we would by going directly to the airline.

I found Etihad to be really, really good and would highly recommend them.

Check out trailfinders- cost of flights for 4 of us 2 adults, one child and one baby €3400 including return flight to Singapore.

Just as an update guys, we just booked our flights to Sydney with Etihad - flying Dublin - Abu Dhabi, overnight in Abu Dhabi and then go on to Sydney the next morning. Got the flights for what we originally thought we would (through Trailfinders) for just over Eur3200. We would like to stay as close to the airport in Abu Dhabi as possible - is there an airport hotel there and has anyone done the overnight stay and stayed there?

thanks

M

you know you don't have to stay over night, I flew that route with Etihad about 5 weeks ago and there was a connecting flight to Sydney about 3 hours later

Just back from 3 and half weeks - 10 flights 51 hours flying so if I don't see another plane for a long time it will be too soon especially as we had a baby with us :eek: Cannot speak highly enough for Malaysian airlines though they were great- nice food, great hosties, good films etc
Sydney airport can be a nightmare to get out of if lots of flights land at once as they rescan all your luggage before you can get out of the airport and there can be delays!

Hi Comanche - I did ask if we had to overnight and she said there wasn't another flight to Sydney till the next day? Maybe it's just the day we're going over on (and coming back on). If that's not true I'm going to be really annoyed because we had wanted to get there as quickly as possible.

Luckycharm, we flew with Malaysian Airlines last time we went to Australia - they were very nice but it was an awful trek coming back as we went straight through so were flying for about 31 hours in total (Sydney-Melbourne-Kuala Lumpar-London-Dublin)...never again, hence wanting to go with Etihad.

M

Luckycharm, we flew with Malaysian Airlines last time we went to Australia - they were very nice but it was an awful trek coming back as we went straight through so were flying for about 31 hours in total (Sydney-Melbourne-Kuala Lumpar-London-Dublin)...never again, hence wanting to go with Etihad.

M

Ouch well could never fly straight or go near Heathrow:p- why did you go sydney to Melbourne? How long is the flight with Etihad?

We did the year in Australia 5 years ago and ended up running out of money :p so we went standby to come home. Meant we had to fly via Melbourne (I don't think we even realised we had to go to Melbourne, just took whatever we could get!!!). Actually they only booked us as far as Heathrow - by the time we got there we were barely on speaking terms :D Thankfully since then, we've gotten married and are looking forward to our return visit - albeit with a bit of money behind us this time ;)

Flight with Etihad is 7 hours Dublin-Abu Dhabi, overnight in the airport hotel then leave the next day and it takes 14 hours to fly Abu Dhabi - Sydney. Turns out we don't even leave the arrivals bit of the airport in Abu Dhabi or go through passport control we go straight into the hotel? Sounds good to me!!

M

Last edited:
Back