Flight turbulence and climate change

arbitron

I was surprised to learn that climate change is the culprit for the increase in this "clear air turbulence" which is unpredictable and more dangerous than regular storms.
I assumed it was being worsened by climate change, just as our weather is getting warmer and wetter. Warmer air holds more moisture and more energy and means more rain and more storms. It also means more turbulence.

The most annoying thing about stories like this is, you get these calm, reassuring aviation voices (often former pilots) going on the Pat Kenny show telling us all not to worry and that typical turbulence is completely normal. Given some of my recent experiences, there's nothing "normal" about being bounced, jerked and buffeted around the sky - even for relatively short periods on a flight. I find it very uncomfortable and stressful...especially when landing.

Climate change is the culprit for everything these days and it leaves me a little cynical.

No mention of the massive increase in passenger km flown or increasingly high altitudes flown by planes.

Cynicism values clarity of thought and living at one with nature. A cynic would love that article.

climate change causing problems on flights that are in turn causing more climate change...

this ironing, it's delicious!

You are sadly so right. I got a shock recently when I looked at my carbon footprint from flights alone. I've decided to cut travel by at least 50% for the rest of the year and hopefully by 80% by end of next year. I love travel and flying but it's just unconscionable.

The negative commentary and "jokes" around these things are really depressing, especially when it comes from parents/grandparents who should be fighting for a healthier future.

You are sadly so right. I got a shock recently when I looked at my carbon footprint from flights alone. I've decided to cut travel by at least 50% for the rest of the year and hopefully by 80% by end of next year. I love travel and flying but it's just unconscionable.

The negative commentary and "jokes" around these things are really depressing, especially when it comes from parents/grandparents who should be fighting for a healthier future.
We’re an island. Standard rules shouldn’t apply to us.

Really depressing. I agree.

"...According to a 2024 study, aircrafts encounter moderate to "severe-or-greater" turbulence 68,000 times every year..."

Air turbulence has been a thing as long as flying has been a thing. Often talked about as Wind Sheer. Anyone interested in aviation would be familiar with it.

Good advice from arbitron, keep the seatbelt on as much as you can.

Not sure what your point is AlbacoreA. No one said it was new. Just that there is more of it due to climate changes.

I encourage this. More seats available for the rest of us.

"...Last year, scientists from the University of Reading in the UK reported that severe turbulence had risen by 55 per cent between 1979 and 2020 on a frequently used North Atlantic route. They attributed this increase to changes in high-altitude wind speeds caused by warmer air from carbon emissions..."

If anyone's interested. Apologies if not.

That Singapore aircraft didn't drop 6,000 feet because of the turbulence.
It was the Pilots who, after the turbulence , initiated a descent rate of 2,000 feet per minute over three minutes as they began their diversion to Bangkok airport.

Tbh I was only looking for any data on the climate change aspect.

Now you mention it I see a lot of not the majority of news articles have the same phrase about the descent. Pprune have more detail, if anyone's interested in learning more about..

Last edited:
Back