Flat vs Tubular Solar Panels

stevo

I am having a dilemma to decide whether to install Flat Panels or Tubular Solar panels for hot water in my house.

I have heard various stories from Suppliers advocating one type over the other.

Flat panels – Cheaper to buy than Tubular, Manufacturers provide longer life warranties on Flat panels. Can be integrated into the roof before slating / tiles go on.
Tubular panels – Up to 30% more efficient than Tubular panels. Operate for longer hours of the day ( In the mornings / evenings).

Some suppliers also advise to stick with German / Austrain panels rather than Chinese manufactured panels due to the quality of the parts in the panels.
Any advice esp people who have them already installed appreciated

Having the same dilemma!

The individual tubes on the tubular panels can be replaced if needed as opposed to the whole flat panel - another advantage over the flat panel.

Two comanies that I'm looking into at the moment are Ecologics and Genertec.

Genertecs panel is German made.

Does anyone have any experience of either company?

A mate of mine had this dilemma recently and went for flat panels in the end. His rationale was that he can make up for the inefficiency by installing more surface area. The flat panels were still cheaper with 30% more area. So if you have the space then you can negate the inefficiency argument.

He also mentioned that flat panels are more robust. This is just non-expert opinion but maybe something to run by your plumber to see what he says.

Having the same dilemma!

The individual tubes on the tubular panels can be replaced if needed as opposed to the whole flat panel - another advantage over the flat panel.

Two comanies that I'm looking into at the moment are Ecologics and Genertec.

Genertecs panel is German made.

Does anyone have any experience of either company?

I am going with Ecologics and the tubes, found Ecologics to be excellent to deal with, by far the most competitavely priced company i came across.
Very interesting website, the owner quentin gargan runs an eco farm down in Cork where he also runs courses.

I went with ecologics and tubes for the extra efficiency. Not sure if its the ecologics or navitron website that says the 20 tubes will do up to a 200l cylinder. I was sceptical and put 30 tubes on a 200l. Even in the bad summer we had it did ok for 2 people but I think its undersized. If I was doing it again I would put either 40 tubes or 30 of the bigger tubes they sell. I also got the flow con A they sell and would not recommend this either. I don't see any advantage to it and think you'd be better off buying the individual components.

We have 2 Velux flat solar panels with a 380 litre plastic tank, (4.5sqm) we have only had to heat the water ourselves in the last 2 days. Up to that we had ample hot water for 2 showers and a bath every day. We also had 7 visitors last weekend so there were 9 showers taken one morning and there was hot water for all! Even still the water is warm for handwashing still at the moment. We are delighted with the performance.

Reason we didn't go with the tubes is they seemed flimsy in the show room, as they are made of the same material as the inside of a thermos flask so quite delicate. This is probably the reason you need to be able to replace one tube at a time.

That said our roofer did a lot of giving out about them as he had to do extra lead work as they are set in the roof and not sitting on it like the Grant brand are which he preferred to install.

Other draw back is our plumber put the tank into our hot press and it's absolutely huge - if you have loft space it'd be a much better option. (you really don't need to be checking the temperature gauge - just run the tap for a second if in doubt, so it's not a good enough reason to have it accessable imo!!)

Hi Silvergirl,

Do you mind telling me the brand of Flat panel you went with ?

Your tank of 380L seems large. Did you choose to go with a plastic tank or was it what the supplier gave you. I'm being advised to go with a stainless steel tank.

Hi all

Can I ask who installs these. I have been thinking about installing solar for some time on existing structure but the decision has now been brought to a head. My copper cylinder just blew up today!!!!

So am looking for installers in Cork

Thanks in advance

seriously do your sums.
compare how much of a saving versus the cost of installation.
It generally costs 1 euro a day for hot water.
Why bother wait 20yrs + for a payback.
Avoid.

seriously do your sums.
compare how much of a saving versus the cost of installation.
It generally costs 1 euro a day for hot water.
Why bother wait 20yrs + for a payback.
Avoid.

Kinda agree. If I were to build a house tomorrow I would not fit solar panels. I would however allow for installation in future. E.G I would run pipe work from attic to hot press and have a spare coil on cylinder. In five years, solar panels of today will be rubbish. Now that they are popular companies will spend money and the technology will improve. in coming years any degree of light will heat hot water and heating, by way of a buffer tank. solar panels in my opinion are like computers. Computers of 5 to 10 years ago are obsolete.

PS in answer to OP question, If I had to, I would go for tubular solar panels. The sun hits them at every angle as it crosses the sky.

I read somewhere though that a swedish compnay did tests to find out which was better, tubular or flat and the flat panels did better in their tests...Someone might have a link to it?

Back