Flat roof maintenance

Mikefromcork

Hi All,

I have a flat roof over part of my house which is made of torch-on felt with 9 years. No problems. I was told by the builder at the time that after 10 years I should paint it. I visited the local co op, builders providers and there was a miriad of possible paints and brands. Just looking for some advice as to what type is the best as I was lost.

Thanks for any advice.

No answers Mikefromcork, but I am in the same situation.
My husband painted our flat roof about 15 years ago with silver reflective paint, but I don't know why he chose that.
Now it's my turn and I'm drawn towards the black protective paint, which makes more sense to me.

Silver bituminous paint should be used. It reflects the heat from the sun.
Exposure to sunlight is the major cause of damage to the torch on felt.
A thin layer of non sharp small stones is a good idea these shade the sun and also speed up evaporation of water from areas of the roof prone to ponding.

Silver bituminous paint should be used. It reflects the heat from the sun.
Exposure to sunlight is the major cause of damage to the torch on felt.
A thin layer of non sharp small stones is a good idea these shade the sun and also speed up evaporation of water from areas of the roof prone to ponding.
Thanks

No answers Mikefromcork, but I am in the same situation.
My husband painted our flat roof about 15 years ago with silver reflective paint, but I don't know why he chose that.
Now it's my turn and I'm drawn towards the black protective paint, which makes more sense to me.
Silver paint could be winning again

Is there any reason I can't use both types of paint?
First the black protective layer to cover the tiny cracks where the roof material folds. Then a few weeks later,paint on the reflective layer.

Is there any reason I can't use both types of paint?
First the black protective layer to cover the tiny cracks where the roof material folds. Then a few weeks later,paint on the reflective layer.
You'll want to check what type of surface type and preparation is required for each type of paint. Slapping one on top of the other may not work.

As above, you'd need to be sure the two paints work well together and won't actually make things worse through issues like differential expansion rates causing cracks.

You could check out the best treatment, with your certified builder, if you are having regular inspections, to comply with your household insurance for felt/flat roof, see here.

Instead of painting might it be an option to transform it into a 'living roof' by laying sedum trays or some equivalent? I believe if done right they will both extend the life of the roof and also add to home insulation

Back