Home Flat roof insurance pvc membrane

cmalone

I am looking for advice. Insurer wants confirmation that flat roof has no more that 20 per cent covering with a non standard (slate, tile, asphalt, etc ). Is there a reason for this. I don’t want quote a brand - but think our’s has more than 20 per cent and is a pvc type.

Any advice - why are insurers against the non traditional. Note manufacturer guarantee with our roof material etc

When they say non-standard they refer to anything that isn't a pitched slate roof. So once its a flat roof portion they will want more info as its prone to leak etc.

Thanks. Is there any particular materials for flat roof that is more acceptable to insurer ? Any certification that will help ?

No. They wouldnt normally look for any certification. They will just want to know the construction type. you may get an underwriter that will want to put a warranty on stating the roof needs to be examined every X number of years.

My experience with this is that the insurer's concern is whether it is non-standard or not. Standard, as peteb mentions above, is a non-pitch slate roof. I asked what was the definition of flat roof, as mine has an angle, and the response was that once it wasn't slate etc. it was non-standard. The limit was 20%. I did actually Google how you can work out the area of your roof so I could calculate the 20% but I couldn't really follow what I was reading.

Back