Flat Rate Expenses

askU

Could anyone explain the following,

Why do Mining Industry get a high rate of 'flat rate expenses'
(a)miners/shift bosses underground, mill process workers/shift bosses and steam cleaners €1312
Whats the logic behind it when say
Foresters employed by Coillte get €166

Both jobs havemore or less the same nature of the employee's employment / cost
LINK
:confused:

Regards,

asku

According to Revenue's website, the amount is agreed between,

"Revenue and representatives of groups or classes of employees (usually the employees are represented by trade union officials). The agreed deduction is then applied to all employees of the class or group in question."

Most of these allowances come from the time of the Ark. They probably made sense once but with indexation (hasn't happened for a few years) and conversion to Euro the amounts all seem very random.

I'd be surprised if any new ones have been added in the last 15 years.

On the subject...

Have done a search online, even downloaded the revenue excel document but nothing definitive. Does anybody know if a Defence Forces Mess monthly Subscription is considered an employment expense?

Thanks
S.

How do i apply for this reimbursement? It says for doctor it's 695 in 2013.
Do employers pay it or we apply to revenue office?

Suzie,

I doubt that a subscription towards the cost of dining (if that is what it is for) would be considered an expense incurred in the performance of duties.

Masterboy123

You should apply to Revenue, which will incorporate this relief into your tax credit certificate.

Hi Sophrosyne

This wouldnt be dining costs. If one doesnt use the mess, one still must pay a subscription fee for the mess. One can view it as a membership cost. Nothing to do with use of the facility.

Thanks
S.

Masterboy,

Telephone or email your tax office. If you have never claimed for this before, you can claim for this year and the preceding 4 years, so you need to do this as soon as possible so that you won’t lose the relief for 2009.

Suzie,

I might be wrong and you should check with your tax office, but I do not think that this expense would qualify. You can see from the flat rate expenses list that they are generally for maintenance of special clothing, tools, equipment or subscriptions to professional bodies. I think the expense must relate to the actual performance of your work.

Sophrosyne

Ok thank you. I just started working in Ireland this month. I never worked in Ireland before. So i have to wait a year before I can claim this?

Back