Flat Rate Expenses - Engineer

manninp2

I'm a qualified engineer working 5 days a week in the energy field.

My job involves going out on site to meet clients and I spend a lot of my time clambering around plant rooms and up on roofs working with machinery.

I wear shirts and slacks to work that I pay for. They get wrecked from dirt, oil, grease etc and I hit Pennys about twice a year to stock up on new ones. Plus I use my own tools e.g. IR thermometer, laser distance measure on site.

Can I claim the flat rate expense for a Skilled Worker in the Engineering Industry or does that expense only apply if I wear overalls to work?

The definitions of the Engineering related Flat Rate Exps are pretty vague. As you know yourself, the term Engineer is widely used for a range of roles in the country, often incorrectly.

I would just claim whatever one you feel best suits your job. It is unlikely you will have the Revenue asking you about it, but if they do you can be honest and try to justify your claim to that rate.

Yes you can claim. Im a software engineer and I have the allowance

If you are a software engineer you're not employed in the category of "engineering industry [and electrical industry from 1997/98]", so you aren't entitled to that flat rate expense.

Can you provide a link to exactly what "Engineering industry [and electrical industry from 1997/98]" covers then?

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering so I think im close enough.

Can you provide a link to exactly what "Engineering industry [and electrical industry from 1997/98]" covers then?

I have a degree in Electronic Engineering so I think im close enough.
Flat rate expenses attached

What about a Software Test engineer. Can I claim?

Attachments

• flat-rate-expenses.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 73
Back