Fixing insulation

Builder

When building house is it sufficient just to insert the insulation board between the two cavity walls or do they have to be fixed to the inner wall. From what I see from a lot of houses the insulation is just placed without fixing.

The insulation must be tied back to the inner leaf with a proprietary wall tie. This is to ensure it's effectiveness and prevent "thermal looping" which is where warm air (heat escaping) "loops" out and around the insulation because of gaps in the insulation or incorrect placing/ fixing. If not done correctly this can have considerable effects on the thermal efficieny of the construction. The product manufacturer can provide detailed info on all this.

Hi builder, just wondering if you bought the hombond building book. It is meant to be very helpful about small details like fixing insulation etc. We are starting our build soon and I was wondering if it is the best one available.

Thanks Suellen. I have visited those sites quite a bit as I have been researching for around a year now. To be honest I don't find those sites very helpful as they don't go into specifics. I really think I need to purchase a book that gives you step by step instructions.

Back