Fixing a cold apartment.

mickmac29

Hi
I bought a two bedroom apartment 3 years ago in kildare. Apartment has its own enterance with no common areas and is on the ground floor. The size is approx. 800 square feet. The apartment is one of six in a small block.Gas fired central heating is used for heating the apartment.
During the last 2 winters I noticed that as soon as I turned the gas heating off the apartment cooled down very quickly and I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve the apartment. I've arranged for the boiler to be serviced next week.
Is there anything I can do to improve the insulation in an apartment given that I can't do any work on the outside of the building. Can anyone recommend anyone in the kildare town area that could give an assesment on the apartment on what could be done and what costs would be involved. thanks for any replies.
mick.

www.propertyhealthcheck.ie or any competent surveying firm can review the apartment for defects.
You may need an architect well-versed in building physics and the effects of orientation as well as building sealing and interstitial detailing to advise you.

The apartment may be insulated internally, which means the walls don't act as a heat store, but it shouldn't cool down that quickly as its still quite mild at the moment.
Kildare isn't far from Dublin, ~ 30-40 minutes from memory of my last run, so you have the resources of the Capital at your command - don't limit yourself to Kildare talent.

I would try to short circuit the amount of work the architect will have to do by obtaining a set of working drawing from the architect or at least a building specification.
You should also bring this to the attention of the management company and say you may need permission to conduct open up as you fear the building may not be compliant.

I should add that I know Peter Sweeney as a colleague but - so far anyway - we haven't engaged in a profitable enterprise.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back