Fixed Value Saving Certificate from 1973 /

Bikini Widow

Hi all,

I found a Fixed value saving certificate (belonging to me) from 1973. It is for a princely sum of £5.
Anyone any idea on what it is ? (e.g. are they now prize bonds)

Found it in an old photo album and I have never heard of saving certificates and just curious to know more.
Screenshots below and I see on one image that it is repayable with accrued interest.

Many thanks,
BW

Attachments

• SC_02.jpg
    SC_02.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 326
  • SC_03.jpg
    SC_03.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 305
  • SC_04.jpg
    SC_04.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
  • SC_01.jpg
    SC_01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 289
No, it is not a Prize Bond.

It's a saving certificate - if you contact the State Saving
State Savings
GPO
FREEPOST
Dublin 1
D01 F5P2
[email protected]

They will tell you how to redeem it if indeed it is redeemable without proof of identity

You could also try at the Post Office but given the age of the certificate, they may well ask you to contact State Savings.

Probably worth about £ 30 or € 40 with the accrued interest

The novelty value may be higher than the real value as I think a fixed rate of interest was applied and it doesn't increase

So if it was a 5 years certificate with a 40% rate, it would still just be £7 (about €8.90)

Hi all,

I found a Fixed value saving certificate (belonging to me) from 1973. It is for a princely sum of £5.
Anyone any idea on what it is ? (e.g. are they now prize bonds)

Found it in an old photo album and I have never heard of saving certificates and just curious to know more.
Screenshots below and I see on one image that it is repayable with accrued interest.

Many thanks,
BW
I had two of these, one issued in 1966 and the other in 1967 (Both were Issue 7), given to me by my grandaprents as birthday presents. Both had a face value of £1. An Post wrote to me in August 2001 to say that no further interest was payable. I cashed them in and received €10.51 and €10.30 respectively. So I would think that jpd's estimate above is realistic.

As mine were of sentimental value I used the proceeds to buy four prize bonds which I still hold.

Last edited:
Back