Fixed tariff for electricity?

stevempotter

When I filled out the forms for switching suppliers at Bonkers, it only gave suggestions for variable-rate tariffs. That means, they can raise or lower the price per kWh as they wish and I have no recourse during the contract. Do any of you have a fixed tariff, and if so, what rate (and discount) are you paying?
If you have day/night metering (we do) please mention both rates. We will soon end our Energia contract, which was a 36% discount and paying €0.1359 for Day Units and
€0.0652 for Night Units, standing charge €0.71 per day. That will go up by 36% (at least) soon, unless we switch suppliers.

When they entered the market here first, Iberdrola offered fixed tariffs (only changed if VAT rate changed). I'm not sure if they're still offering fixed price.
Not aware of anyone else offering for residential customers.

That means, they can raise or lower the price per kWh as they wish and I have no recourse during the contract.
If yours was the only provider to increase their charges, it would probably be worth your while paying the €50 per fuel early exit fee and move again to the cheapest provider at that time.

Do fixed tariffs exist?

What if gas prices triple? Why would a provider expose themselves to risk like that?

The provider isn't really exposed as they can hedge themselves with a derivative from a bank. They'll fix a price themselves and then charge a higher fixed price to the customer and make a profit so they are indifferent to what happens to gas prices.

It's a huge market in the UK, very easy to fix your electricity/gas price with a dozen providers for between 1 and 2 years.

Have you contacted Energia to tell them you are moving unless they continue with the same rate ?

Back