Fixed Lump sum savings v Prize Bonds

Haille

Registered User
Messages
375
I have 50,000 euros to invest beginning of December 2025. I have looked at Bank of Ireland Advantage Fixed Term 2.24 per cent after 1 year 6 months.If my calculations are correct this is 1120 euros but only 747 euros after DIRT. I was wondering if prize bonds might yield a better result?I have no mortgage and we are both retired.
 
It would be better to do a Money Makeover to address this question in my opinion.
Prize Bonds might yield a better return but they might not.

There may be better returns on offer than the BOI account.
If my calculations are correct this is 1120 euros but only 747 euros after DIRT.
The net return is €1,120 x 67% = €750.40.
 
Also, the 1% quoted includes the weekly €50k and monthly €500k prizes which the vast majority won’t win, so in reality, I think most prize bond holders get a lot less than the 1% quoted.
 
@ClubMan

Wrong link I'm afraid, that post/spreadsheet dates from July 2023 and reflects the prize structure and rate before it improved considerably in October 2023. The spreadsheet was originally developed by a genius named @dub_nerd and was last maintained by @Duke of Marmalade Here is the correct link to the most recent version:

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...tives-to-deposits.182819/page-36#post-1840571

Put your holding in cell A2
Put the total PB fund value in A4 (This is is €4,423,820,000 as of 31/10/2025)
Put the current notional rate in cell A5 (1%)

The residual percentage, currently .77% is the likely return, based on average luck. The larger your holding, the closer your return will be to this.

The difference between the current notional rate (1%) and the residual percentage is accounted for by the larger prizes (€500k, €50k, €1k and €500) which you have almost no chance of winning.

So with €50k invested for 6 months and average luck and the current fund size and prize structure, the likely return will be 2 or 3 x €75 prizes. Obviously, the actual number of wins will vary. In general, from observing this over a long period, a holding of €500k or greater is needed for your return to be fairly close to the anticipated return, currently .77%

For anyone interested in Prize Bonds, the thread I linked to is worth scanning. Posts by @dub_nerd in particularly worth reading.
 
Last edited:
Wrong link I'm afraid, that post/spreadsheet dates from July 2023 and reflects the prize structure and rate before it improved considerably in October 2023. The spreadsheet was originally developed by a genius named @dub_nerd and was last maintained by @Duke of Marmalade Here is the correct link to the most recent version:
Thanks for that! :) I wasn't sure that I had to right link alright... :confused:
 
Back
Top